Ich or breeding stars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jlk, I thought I had posted a photo, on the black oranda. Is it not visible?

I just see a frown face but maybe it's my phone?
I am unfortunately having some computer issues so I can not check to see if it's posted.

Breeding stars can be confused with ich. Stars will appear on the gill plates and the tops of pectoral fins (and even around the eyes) and they appear as small white bumps or sometimes bubbles. Ich will be apparent on the body and fins/tail and not localized to specific areas like stars.

Can you describe what you are seeing? Is this a new fish (past few months) or have you introduced any new creatures or plants in past few months?

Orandas often ge small pockets of mucus collectin in the den growth. Looks like that to me. Ich will normally appear first on fins. Your fish looks very healthy.

Jlk, it's a new black oranda the hubby surprised me with. We purchased a 120 g tank as well, which is cycling.

He seems to have white dots only on the right side of his wen. None on his fins or body.

Pip waters, thank you for the response. :) huge sigh of relief!

An added question, that goldish spot near his dorsal fin, what could that be? We got him like that.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401902762.055270.jpg

Update: apparently he wasn't healthy. :( Mochi passed away today. Not sure why. All my water parameters are good. I'm assuming he was unhealthy when my husband saved him from pet smart. :(

Update: apparently he wasn't healthy. :( Mochi passed away today. Not sure why. All my water parameters are good. I'm assuming he was unhealthy when my husband saved him from pet smart. :(

I am very sorry :(

Keep a close watch on your other fish that may have been exposed to him for any signs of ill health over the upcoming weeks. If there are any issues, please let us know!

Jlk, my orange oranda has started to get what looks like blood clots under his right eye. I've been doing 25% water changes everyday since the black oranda died. Ever since Mochi passed away, my orange oranda, Squishy, has gotten back to being jumpy. Anytime I've fed them he freaks out & a couple times he's bumped into the filter so idk if it's from the filter or something else. :( I don't want to lose him now too..

Jlk, my orange oranda has started to get what looks like blood clots under his right eye. I've been doing 25% water changes everyday since the black oranda died. Ever since Mochi passed away, my orange oranda, Squishy, has gotten back to being jumpy. Anytime I've fed them he freaks out & a couple times he's bumped into the filter so idk if it's from the filter or something else. :( I don't want to lose him now too..

How are your parameters? Are the blood spots in the eye itself or around socket area? Is it just one eye or both? Any spots or red veining anywhere else?

Based on his behavior, it sounds like he may just have bumped/bruised the eye area (assuming this is the only place you see this). I would just keep a watch on things for now and let us know if you have any concerns or questions!

Back
Top Bottom