ID this native for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumberjack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an fish that looks as if he is a mixed breed with maybe a bluegill and a green sunfish. He has outgrown EVERYTHING in this tank. He is a gentle giant though. I have him, 2 baby blue gills. A blue crawfish, a pleco, and 6 shiners

Emperor 400
55 gal aquarium
Driftwood and rocks
Working on live plants at the moment. Planning on water Lilly's and java moss and other native plants.

I like these native fish because something is always gong on just like a cichlid tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430185598.909426.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430185660.697843.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430185695.387828.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430185787.680473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah he does look like he has some pumpkin seed in him. His mouth is rather large

Send the photo to Johnas or Zimmermanns and they will tell you

Looks like a Green Sunfish/pumpkinseed mix. We get those a lot in the lake we live in, due to natural cross breeding that occurs between these fish. They get pretty big, probably 1 pound being the largest I'v ever caught. Or approximately 9-12". Just a rough guess, but these fish will need at least 75 gallons once full grown. You could grow it out then real ease. Also keep in mind that they are aggressive and need their own designated territory.

Looks like a Green sunfish/pumpkinseed mix to me. They need at least 75 gallons and get pretty aggressive. Here's a pic:
GreenSunfishTellicoNegus.jpg

Looks like a Green sunfish/pumpkinseed mix to me. They need at least 75 gallons and get pretty aggressive. Here's a pic:
GreenSunfishTellicoNegus.jpg

You could probably get away with a 40b or a 55, they don't usually reach more than six inches. A solo in a 40 would be ok, but the bigger the better. I have never heard of a green/pumkinseed hybrid, I was referring to normal greenies.

I don't have too much to add except that a sunfish solo in a 55 is one of the best fishkeeping experiences you can have. They're just as smart and as full of personality as any cichlid I've ever kept. By themselves they will become verymuch attached to their keeper, and will eat out of your hand and respond positively to touch. When I was younger I had one in a 55 gallon for several years until my family moved.

I don't have too much to add except that a sunfish solo in a 55 is one of the best fishkeeping experiences you can have. They're just as smart and as full of personality as any cichlid I've ever kept. By themselves they will become verymuch attached to their keeper, and will eat out of your hand and respond positively to touch. When I was younger I had one in a 55 gallon for several years until my family moved.

I used to have a rock bass in a 75 and I loved him! So much personality

Yeah he is a great fish. He is around 5 inches. He ended up in one of my fish traps at around 3.5 inches so I kept him. I did the Full scape yesterday. The one I showed y'all was just me throwing a scape together while I get everything situated. Here is what it looks like now: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430577909.521248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430577927.869424.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430577946.260433.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430577959.995139.jpg

He is blurry because he is really active. Always in every picture because every move I make he follows me.

Looks great! Have fun keeping him, by the way they act by Lake Norman then he should be very easy to feed :lol:

Back
Top Bottom