Is my ryukin goldfish ok in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a red ryukin goldfish that's been in a 5 gallon for a few months now. He seems happy and healthy and has grown since I first got him. The info at the pet shop said he'd get 6 inches. I also asked an employee if he'd be ok in a 5 gallon and she said yes if I had a filter, but I know employees can be wrong on some things. I have a bio wheel filter along with a air stone to add oxygen. I know people say these fish need 20+ gallons and I'm hoping to get either a 75 or 55 gallon tank sometime in the near future, so I can put him in there if need be. I don't understand why a 6 inch fish wouldn't be ok in a tank with room to swim and proper care. (I know they might reach 8 inches or so but still) This is my favorite fish and I want to make sure he has proper living conditions.

Thanks!

Question - is this a serious question?

Short answer - NO.

Long answer NO. Is a 5 gallon tank big enough for a 8 inch fish to swim and turn around? No way. They also have huuuuuuuuuge bio loads. I would like you to test the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, with a liquid test kit, and post what the results are. I suspect all of the levels will be too high. A 20 gallon is minimum IMO, I would go bigger. A 5 gallon is not proper living conditions. In a 55 gallon tank you could keep 3 or 4 goldies. I would get the 55g up ASAP or rehome him. Sorry if this sounds rude but it's a bad idea all the way around to keep a goldie in a 5 gallon tank.

Question - is this a serious question?

Short answer - NO.

Long answer NO. Is a 5 gallon tank big enough for a 8 inch fish to swim and turn around? No way. They also have huuuuuuuuuge bio loads. I would like you to test the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, with a liquid test kit, and post what the results are. I suspect all of the levels will be too high. A 20 gallon is minimum IMO, I would go bigger. A 5 gallon is not proper living conditions. In a 55 gallon tank you could keep 3 or 4 goldies. I would get the 55g up ASAP or rehome him. Sorry if this sounds rude but it's a bad idea all the way around to keep a goldie in a 5 gallon tank.

Ok, I bought him before I knew all the requirements for this kind of fish. Also, the tank is 16 inches long, and he's only 4 inches including the tail fins at the moment, so he has room. I don't have test kit, I take it to be tested, and don't tell me, I know I need to get one. I will move him once I get a bigger tank, but I don't have the money atm.

Then re home him. Simple as that or the goldfish will die. He will become stunted quickly. This will then cause his organs to continue growing but not his body size. Or get a bigger tank at least a 29 gallon with in 2 weeks or it will be to late for him. It might be to late already.

That's hardly any room. How wide is it front to back? Keeping him in a small tank like this has a high chance of stunting him. I would be doing LOTS of water changes.

That's hardly any room. How wide is it front to back? Keeping him in a small tank like this has a high chance of stunting him. I would be doing LOTS of water changes.

8 inches. I am already doing regular water changes.

Then re home him. Simple as that or the goldfish will die. He will become stunted quickly. This will then cause his organs to continue growing but not his body size. Or get a bigger tank at least a 29 gallon with in 2 weeks or it will be to late for him. It might be to late already.

There is a petco $1 per gallon sale in 10 days. I'll get a 20 or 29 gallon there. I guess my 75 or 55 gal will just have to wait.

I would move everything filters, substrate and any decorations over to the 29 gallon to try and give you a head start on cycling. But I hate to reccomend this but do a fish in cycle with your goldfish. Keep up on the water changes and he will be fine or should be. You will have to do at least 2 50 percent changes a week.

I would move everything filters, substrate and any decorations over to the 29 gallon to try and give you a head start on cycling. But I hate to reccomend this but do a fish in cycle with your goldfish. Keep up on the water changes and he will be fine or should be. You will have to do at least 2 50 percent changes a week.

The 5 gal filter is one that is tank specific that mounts under the hood. I'll get an aquaclear and put my bio bag from my established 20 gallon in it. Do I need a hood? Is he likely to jump out?

I wish you were closer OP. I have a 55 that I would sell you for $10 as is.

The tank is water tight but needs to be resealed. It's just sitting in my basement.

Goldfish aren't known to be jumpers. Buy the biggest tank you can get there. The sales go up to 55 gallons, so a 40b or 55g would be awesome :)

The 5 gal filter is one that is tank specific that mounts under the hood. I'll get an aquaclear and put my bio bag from my established 20 gallon in it. Do I need a hood? Is he likely to jump out?

Oh ok I didn't know you had a bio bag put that in your new filter for the 29. A hood is always nice. They aren't know to be jumpers but still a lid is always nice just in case.

I wish you were closer OP. I have a 55 that I would sell you for $10 as is.

The tank is water tight but needs to be resealed. It's just sitting in my basement.

That's too bad. That would be a great deal.

Goldfish aren't known to be jumpers. Buy the biggest tank you can get there. The sales go up to 55 gallons, so a 40b or 55g would be awesome :)
I was really hoping to save my money and get a 75 setup around Christmas, then I could keep him there. Judging by the pic, how long do you think it is until he would get stunted?

It could be any week now he's pretty big now hurry and get him into a bigger tank I think he will be fine if he's in there longer than 2 weeks more like I said it will be to late. It could be already...

It could be any week now he's pretty big now hurry and get him into a bigger tank I think he will be fine if he's in there longer than 2 weeks more like I said it will be to late. It could be already...

Hmm, we'll then I reckon I'll be getting a 20 gal on the petco sale, an aquaclear 50, and some pfs soon. I'll use a heat lamp fixture with a daylight bulb for the time. I really wanted to get a 75 gal on Craig's or something, will have to wait I guess :(
I hope it's not too late and I don't end up getting a 20 gal for nothing.

It won't be for nothing. Even if he does end up stunted, he will have a little longer of a lifespan then keeping him in the 5 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom