Is this filter good for a goldfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Internal filters can be great in large tanks so long as they are not the only method of filtration. In the tank I used to keep my comet in, I rand a large powerhead driven sponge filter, and 2 internal canisters that have the snap on cylinders with a sponge in each. I also ran a HOB and an external canister. The hob was great for purigen and coral rubble as it allowed easy access to change/top up the media. The external canister had a massive surface area for bb, but the internals provided excellent water movement and mechanical filtration. They wouldn't take long to clog up, admittedly, but as I was doing a pwc every 2 days anyway, it was no trouble to rinse the sponges also. The water always stayed lovely and clean (I hate floaties).
I've seen 4' and even 6' tanks run on internal filters alone, and its not pretty.
A family member has a 2' tank with a filter that may actually be a little less powerful than the one the OP bought, and her tropical tank is thriving.
My main worry about an internal filter in a small tank (which is already harder to keep stable) is that there isn't a whole lot of surface are to grow bb. I would worry less with a backup filter- either hob or canister.

Internal filters can be great in large tanks so long as they are not the only method of filtration. In the tank I used to keep my comet in, I rand a large powerhead driven sponge filter, and 2 internal canisters that have the snap on cylinders with a sponge in each. I also ran a HOB and an external canister. The hob was great for purigen and coral rubble as it allowed easy access to change/top up the media. The external canister had a massive surface area for bb, but the internals provided excellent water movement and mechanical filtration. They wouldn't take long to clog up, admittedly, but as I was doing a pwc every 2 days anyway, it was no trouble to rinse the sponges also. The water always stayed lovely and clean (I hate floaties).
I've seen 4' and even 6' tanks run on internal filters alone, and its not pretty.
A family member has a 2' tank with a filter that may actually be a little less powerful than the one the OP bought, and her tropical tank is thriving.
My main worry about an internal filter in a small tank (which is already harder to keep stable) is that there isn't a whole lot of surface are to grow bb. I would worry less with a backup filter- either hob or canister.

And that was my argument, plain and simple.

And that was my argument, plain and simple.

It was genuinely nothing personal, and i do apologise for seeming so forceful. Maybe i was picking at your words and pushing my point too hard but you could of explained yourself better, apologies bsh.

It was genuinely nothing personal, and i do apologise for seeming so forceful. Maybe i was picking at your words but you could of explained yourself better, apologies bsh.

I apologize as well, no harm done. It's easy to get heated over miscommunication and we fell victim.

--- hi, yes I run an internal fluval u4 and external aqua one 1200 canister. I do find it annoying to buy the inserts but convenient for changes as I can just lift it straight out without too much gunk escaping (hopefully). The internal is great to push the water around as you mention and also mechanical filtration. My question is should I use the internal more for mechanical and do regular cleans (and disturb any bacteria) or let it go longer. I've run this for about 4 weeks now and I can see it is not filtering as well (the product guide says clean 1 foam insert (of two) every 2 weeks or so. From reading above, etc it seems the filter will just get more clogged and needs cleaning now? Just trying to trade off preserving any bacteria populations vs more regular filter cleaning. There is a little chamber for noodles but it is pretty small compared to the aquaone 1200. I'm thinking of getting another external but still experimenting on this setup :).

Definitely rinse the sponges as they become clogged- just make sure you use treated water. I find I have to bang mine to get them unclogged- rinsing alone only gets off the gunk that's on the outside of the sponge. Don't clean them all at once and you'll be fine with your BB numbers.

Back
Top Bottom