It all started with a carnival goldfish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txbusdriver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About 7 weeks ago my son came home with a goldfish from the carnival. I thought I was being smart and bought a 5 gallon tank with a filter.

After realizing my mistake we bought a 36 gallon tank with an Aquaclear filter. Next mistake...I listened to the kids at Petsmart. I set up the tank and let it run for a week and then added 3 more goldfish.

Finally I did my homework and researched the Internet thoroughly and stumbled upon this website. Currently I am smack dab in the middle of a nitrite spike and I am doing twice daily 75% water changes. Nitrates are at 10-20 with nitrites hitting 2.0 and ammonia at .25-.50. I have also added a Sun-Sun canister filter that moves 380 gallons per hour. I'm thinking I'm a bit overstocked and have considered getting a 55-65 gallon tank.

Thanks for all the great info on this site!

I started thinking I was smart, I got me and my brothers 2 carnival comet goldfish. We got a 1 gallon... died within 3 weeks... My platy is doing fine... after the other 2 died in the one gallon... so one fish one gallon... hoping to upgrade soon :p
Unlike the platy, the goldfish didn't have gravel, plants, filter, no water changes, nothing...

hah I usually see bettas starting the fish addiction :)

The twice daily water changes must be a good workout with all the buckets though :) But a 55 - 65g tank would be nice. I wish my 55 was a little bit larger even though my house doesn't have room for a larger tank.

Is that aquariumaholics anonymous? ;)

Yes it is

I was "clean" no aquariums for about 15 yrs. when I was younger I had a real aquarium addiction. Then my 3 year old at the time convinces me. Yeah I know I'm a push over, that she wants fish. We found an old 20 gallon setup in basement. Fast forward a couple years and I'm back. I'm trying to convert my wife.

Nitrites still high but not as high and Nitrate spiking.... Ammonia levels still .25-.50

2 75% water changes planned today.

I'm glad my 12 yo is out of school to help me.

Well I'm 4 days into multiple water changes. Nitrites still through the roof but Nitrates are increasing to around 20. I'm worn out from the water changes!,

Well I'm 4 days into multiple water changes. Nitrates still through the roof but Nitrates are increasing to around 20. I'm worn out from the water changes!!

I know the feeling but there is a light at the end of the tunnel once you get the water parameters right life wil be much easier and the fish will be happier and healthier

I know the feeling but there is a light at the end of the tunnel once you get the water parameters right life wil be much easier and the fish will be happier and healthier

Thanks! Three water changes yesterday and when I woke up Nitirite was at 1.0. I am actually encouraged because in previous days the nitrite level has been 4.0 in the morning.

Thanks! Three water changes yesterday and when I woke up Nitirite was at 1.0. I am actually encouraged because in previous days the nitrite level has been 4.0 in the morning.

That doesn't sound too bad you're almost there

Good luck with your tank and fish - for water changes, this is the best thing you could ever buy yourself. Just pay attention when filling it back up so you don't overflow your tank, like I did just the other day...:blink:

Back
Top Bottom