Japanese trapdoor snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to breed snails...(please not malaysian trumpets though...they reproduce WAY too fast...not to mention they don't sell for much). I was really wanting some sulawesi rabbit snails and unfortunately they are super expensive. LiveAquaria sells them for 12.99...EACH!!! I know you have to put money in to get money out but I'm not looking to be a professional I just want to sell to friends etc. I also wanted to do red ramshorns but the only reputable breeder I could find was in the UK and they don't ship to the U.S...so...that kind of got scratched off the list. So I came across the Japanese trapdoor snails...they were cool...got to be a decent size and best of all they are livebearers! Yay! So that's pretty much where I am at right now. Researched what they like as far as parameters and their history. They seem like pretty easy little friends to keep. So here's my questions to people who have kept them or are currently keeping them: do they reproduce quickly enough to sell at a consistent rate? Are they as easy to keep as google says? And are they suitable in a planted tank (my research shows that they are but I'm just double checking)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have kept them for a couple of years. They do best in ponds and overwinter without an issue as they are very cold tolerant (same upkeep as fish- the pond must not freeze over!). They grow quite large and prefer cool water. They do not bother plants. They reproduce infrequently at best, giving birth to one or two live babies. In tanks, their lifespan is drastically shorter than ponds in seasonal climates. They are illegal to ship across state borders in many states and are considered invasive in some areas. They are inexpensive though, typically running .50 to $2 per snail. Not a species I would chose for breeding/sale.

Rabbit snails are very faddish right now if you are seeking a species in high demand that garners a high price tag for a snail. I am not familiar though on the legal requirements for shipping these snails interstate or if they have similar limitations to other species. Do your research before investing. :)

Yeah...sounds like trapdoors may not be the best...red ramshorns are really cool if only someone had them for sale. Does anyone here on AA have them?

Back
Top Bottom