Just finished my new pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pilotfox01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody, i just finshed building my pond. Its just under 200 gallons, i used a pond kit to make it. I'm new to ponds but I have been keeping aquarium fish for a few years. I have a few questions. Do I need a heater? Should I leave my filter on 24/7? (Its rated 300gal/hr) Should I be adding any chemicals? What type of plants and fish should I get? Should I cover it to avoid predators? Well thats it for now thanks.

P.S. the pond is 5 by 4 ft and 1.4 ft deep

pilotfox01 said:
Hi everybody, i just finshed building my pond. Its just under 200 gallons, i used a pond kit to make it. I'm new to ponds but I have been keeping aquarium fish for a few years. I have a few questions. Do I need a heater? Should I leave my filter on 24/7? (Its rated 300gal/hr) Should I be adding any chemicals? What type of plants and fish should I get? Should I cover it to avoid predators? Well thats it for now thanks.

P.S. the pond is 5 by 4 ft and 1.4 ft deep

OK,, you will need a de-icer for the winter, but for the summer season, no.

I keep goldfish, I think that would be good for you also, as Koi would get too big.

Leave the filter on all the time during spring,summer, fall.

Your choices for plants are endless, but you should definitley have a water lily, some water irises and a few floating plants, such as water lettuce, or water hyacinth. Also get some submerged plants, they help with oxygentation, and give fish a place to hide if any predators come around. Don't buy tropical plants, get hardy ones, they come back year after year.

The only concern I have is with your depth. Wisconsin has pretty cold winters, that depth could freeze solid. However, I'm in Maryland, so you would prolly know better than me.

I only cover my pond fall through early spring, to keep leaves out. Others use the netting all year long, but to me, it ruins the whole look of the pond. if no net, buy cheap fish! if you lose some, no big investment.

http://www.marylandaquatic.com/Retail/about_man.cfm

This site has many pond plants, good place to browse, see what you might like. Do a google search for pond plants and you'll find a ton of websites.

Hope this helps!

thanks for tha advise, could i just buy a heater then i dont have to worry about it freezing.

That still seems very shallow. I am down in IL, but my 2' pond is lacking. I really wish I would have put it deeper. As far as plants, I like to find sticks shaped like little Y's and T's and make stationary points that the fish can sit under.

the pond is 5 by 4 ft and 1.4 ft deep
you will need a de-icer for the winter
Hi pilotfox, I'm not sure about Wisconsin but up here in Canada the de-icer would'nt do you much good with a depth of only 1.4ft. The de-icer only keeps a hole open in the ice to allow gasses to escape from the stuff decomposing on the bottom of your pond. It does'nt keep the water from freezing to the bottom. You need a minimum of 36 inches for your fish to survive.

Listen to Murphy, he knows better than me about cold weather ponds!

yeah, but if I have a heater to keep the entire pond above freezing during the winter then I dont have to worry about it freezing.

pilotfox01 said:
yeah, but if I have a heater to keep the entire pond above freezing during the winter then I dont have to worry about it freezing.

To keep 210g of water that is outside above freezing in the dead of winter...you'll need about a billion watt heater. electric costs would be prohibitive, IMO.

Reefrunner is right!. Believe me, if I could keep my pond heated all winter I would. The benefits of being able to feed my Koi all winter would be fantastic.....they would be huge! :eek2:

Ok, thanks for the advise. I think ill just end up bringing the fish in for the winter. It would save me some money. I already have everything I need to keep them inside.

I was in lowes today and noticed that all of their pond liners where no more than 18" deep. I suppose the people who make these things either come from the south or just dont care that they are not deep enough for the cooler northern climents.

If they sold you deep ones, your fish wouldn't freeze and die every year. You wouldn't have to come back and replace them.

RogerMcAllen said:
If they sold you deep ones, your fish wouldn't freeze and die every year. You wouldn't have to come back and replace them.
That logic would hold if the pond kits around here where sold at LFS's. Instead they are sold at home improvment stores like Lowes and Home Depot. Now im sure in other areas that have larger LFS's they do carry pond liners and such.

I think its more a result of ignorance on those who design the pond liners than some kind of ploy to sell fish. If that was the case then wouldnt it make sense that the fish farms or the fish distributors where also the ones making the pond molds?

Back
Top Bottom