Keeping koi??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish101

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to buy a koi. Does anyone have any info if you do please tell me and tell me all you know thanks. I want this to be a memerable fish and can koi live with a common pleco

I am looking to buy a koi. Does anyone have any info if you do please tell me and tell me all you know thanks. I want this to be a memerable fish and can koi live with a common pleco

Where are you going to keep it? If in a pond, it should be fairly large. If in a tank, a 125 gallon minimum.
I'm know koi expert, hopefully someone joins in.

Tank at first then upgrade it to a pond. in its adult hood.

20 gallons for small then upgrade. To 125 gallon pond when the koi is only 10 inchs I will upgrade

They grow fast and are really!!!! Dirty. You will be wanting that pond sooner then you think!!! I have 7 now. I started off with 5 in a 45-55 gall out door pond and moved them in for the winter in a 55 gal. Yeah they doubled in size and the tank was ALWAYS dirty!!! I built their big pond, apx 1200 gal, this spring and added 2 more. They are now the size of my older guys!! I would say about a foot long.. I have butterfly koi as I like their long fins better. And yes they can live with a Pleco.

Ok thank you and accept my friend request. Also thanks for telling me that koi can live with a common pleco. Because people are saying they can't. So yea also what temp and can they grow full length in one year

Now a Pleco won't be able to live outside in the winter. But Kois can. And no. Koi will not reach full length in a year. I fully expect mine to keep getting bigger and they are only about a foot now and are 2-3 yrs in age. When I put them in their big pond in the spring they were maybe 6".

20 gallons for small then upgrade. To 125 gallon pond when the koi is only 10 inchs I will upgrade

Your koi would be better off starting in a 125g++ tank then moving to a large pond as soon as possible. Honestly, 20g is simply not going to work, not even short term as they are messy fish with huge growth potential. Add a zero on to the 125g planned pond (1250g) to make it koi suitable. Please ask if you have questions!

Yes 20 gallons is too small. Might work for a week. I had 5 over wintered in a 55 gallon tank and it was miserable for me and for the koi. The water was always nasty, high ammonia, high nitrates, water changes daily!! Now they are happy outside!!

Back
Top Bottom