Kiddy pool for pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey i was wondering if i could use a kids pool for a pond? i think it is a intresting idea? anyone care to share a opinion?

It can work, but there are a few problems. First, many ponds contain algecides that can be harmful to your fish and plants. Second, (depending on what you were thinking) inflatable pools can be punctured.

What were you thinking about doing?

When we moved, we brought our pond with us. We kept all the plants and fish in a hard kiddie pool shell for about 2 months while we were moving. Finally we built the pond, but it was too late for our lovely goldfish. Although we had diligently maintained the water quality, the kiddie pool was so shallow and small that a few raccoons were able to come by and easily catch and eat all the fish, as well as damaging the plants. Our house is in the city, so we didnt expect raccoons, but they appreciated the free meal. I wouldn't recommend using a kiddie pool unless it has a hard shell and is at least 3 ft deep.

hmmm mabe a DIY coming on here...... i was talking about thouse small hard plastic pools that are like 1foot deep......hmmm........ anyone wanna help me here becasue theres gotta be some way... i was thinking instead of a halfbarrel or linen etc

hmm im talking about the hard plastic ones, they hold up with people n stuff in there, plus it could go undergroundand then spring off into others or visa versa

I have considered using the roll up ones as fry grow outs. The six footer is about 300 gal, and the 8 footer is about 500 gal, and they are lesss than 20 bucks. I know of one guy who used them to grow brine shrimp for sale.

I tried this

for my very first pond. The hard shallow one like you want to try. Mine got brittle in the sun in just a few months and cracked up.

yeah i don want meh goldfish to surf on grass :p so any other cheap ideas like kiddypools for us cheapos to have a nice garden pond?

Cheapest solution that I have found with some size to it is a plastic stock tank from a feed store. I have a 120 gallon stock tank set in the ground by my patio.

Back
Top Bottom