koi ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
wrong area to post this? I'm just wondering what would be a small size for a koi barrel or whatever. Do you have to get a pond if you want koi? or can you have them in a smaller thing? and if so how small? I would be fine with only like three fish. This is something I'd do in like 5+ years so I'm just curious. I miss my goldfish :p

Koi needs lots of room. Sure you can keep some juvies in a small tub, but they do grow. You are looking at few hundred gals at least if you want 3 full grown koi.

For koi look alike, you might want to consider Shubunkins. They look like koi, and some have really nice markings. You should be OK with a 60-100 gal barrel. But of course, bigger is better with any goldies!

Koi needs lots of room. Sure you can keep some juvies in a small tub, but they do grow. You are looking at few hundred gals at least if you want 3 full grown koi.

For koi look alike, you might want to consider Shubunkins. They look like koi, and some have really nice markings. You should be OK with a 60-100 gal barrel. But of course, bigger is better with any goldies!
i agree with the first pargraph but i dont agree with the second. Koi can grow to over 3ft long and 3 of them in a barrel ain't gonna work. maybe in a barrel while he's still small but he will out grow it. a pond is best for a koi i mean unless you have a 500 gallon or bigger tub/barrel. If i were you i would go with something like fancy goldfish or feeder goldfish or even a pond comet but not a koi.

fish at max size

koi = 36+"
pond comet = 14"
feeder gold fish = 12"
fancy gold fish = 9"

Oh i'm sorry. i just read jsoong's post over and noticed he said "Shubunkins" not koi for the second part of his post. I agree with everything jsoong posted, and like he posted bigger is better for goldies.

Back
Top Bottom