Koi Tank Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeknightica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, guys! Koi are my favourite fishies, and I'd love to have a little tank of them. I used to have two of them in a ten gallon, and I loved them. I was stupid and let their nitrate get way too high, and they died. I've learned a lot since then, and a reeeally don't want to make the same mistake again. So, I thought that I'd ask you guys if you think that having three two-inch koi in a fifteen gallon would be okay. It's a column tank that's about two feet high and a foot wide. It's not a permanent home because I'm hoping to save up money for an indoor pond or a much bigger tank a few years down the line. I don't plan on having any more fish or tank mates for them, just the three of them. What do you guys think?

IKoi get almost 36" long. They're not aquarium fish. Definitely don't belong in a 15 tall

IKoi get almost 36" long. They're not aquarium fish. Definitely don't belong in a 15 tall

I've only ever seen them get that big in huge ponds. I'm not arguing with you, but I don't think they'll get dragon-sized in a fifteen. The tank isn't permanent either.

Fish growth gets stunted in small tanks and thus they don't grow, yes. However this negatively affects their health and lifespan and can leave them stunted for life. Not a very humane practice. They also grow quite quickly.

Fish growth gets stunted in small tanks and thus they don't grow, yes. However this negatively affects their health and lifespan and can leave them stunted for life. Not a very humane practice. They also grow quite quickly.

Really? I didn't know that would make them unhealthy. I definitely don't wanna hurt them. :(

Even a small koi should be kept in a long tank. They are swimmers and roamers and confining them to a small area is not really in their best interest. :(
As for size, they get huge. My late neighbor was a koi farmer and his 3 year old breeders were all over 24" long and that was while being raised in 14' diameter pools. If you haven't seen them that big in a large pond, you must have been looking at stunted fish or fish with some abnormality. Go find a koi show and attend and you'll see some of the biggies on display. Your jaw will drop. ;) (y)

They're so gorgeous! [emoji7] I volunteer at a pet shop a lot, and they have a solid black koi. He's not shiny either, he's shadowy matt black. Yeah, I think that I'll save up for a huge pond instead of putting them in a little tank. Thanks for the help, you guys, I really appreciate it! :3

A koi pond is on my wish list for when I retire and move to a better climate for them!! I actually have a koi tattoo on my forearm!

A koi pond is on my wish list for when I retire and move to a better climate for them!! I actually have a koi tattoo on my forearm!

That's so cool! Do you have a pic of it? :J

Been trying to post one but just won't go for some reason

Back
Top Bottom