Koi tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lord

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any ideas on koi tank mates in a 150 gallon 6ft long tank

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

How big are your koi? I can't see anything else than a pleco or a gold fish.

There only babies at the moment 4 inch is the biggest when they outgrow the indoor aquarium they will be going to a pond.already have plecos just thought somebody might know of a species that can co-exist apart from plecos or goldfish

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Since koi are carp fish, I wonder if they would be kept with other river fishes such as bass, walleye and cat fish. The big wild ones..

Best options would probably be in natives. Platys and guppies will take the temperature.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since koi are carp fish, I wonder if they would be kept with other river fishes such as bass, walleye and cat fish. The big wild ones..

That would work, but all of those fish get quite large for a 150, except maybe bass or bullhead cats

I don't know squat about Koi growth rate, but if its not equal to the growth rate of a RTC, they will be eaten quickly. RTC's can hit 2ft within a year under right conditions. Many claim buying them at 3-4" and being right at a 12" in 4 months. Huge appetites. If it fits in their mouth, their gonna eat it.

That would work, but all of those fish get quite large for a 150, except maybe bass or bullhead cats

Depends on the bass. Large mouth get too big to have companions in a 150. It ends up looking like this:

Picture didn't upload.

Attachments

• 1430407124161.jpg
    1430407124161.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 146
They will grow faster in an under stocked tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm maybe like a big crawfish might work

Some smaller species of sunfish like pumpkinheads are occasionally kept as pond fish. Some people keep Chanel catfish. I personally would not suggest catfish or mixing fish that don't exist together naturally. The cat fish are night predators that could eat a more expensive koi while it sleeps. They also murk up the bottom more than goldfish or koi.

Back
Top Bottom