Leaking plastic fish pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewsjus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just bought a house in Waco Texas that has a 165 gallon plastic tank. It is 18 inches deep and cascades into a smaller tank.

It leaks. The water level goes down about 2 inches a day. I know nothing about outdoor ponds and was wondering if anyone has experience patching a leak.

Thanks, Andy

Don't use the compound you use to patch a pool tho! It may contain things that, while safe for humans, may hurt your fish!

If the break in the liner is relitivly high, or in a place where you could drop the water level to without hurting your fish, then the best thing to do is to find a piece of Pond grade rubber [ I.E. Rubber without any of the bad stuff in it such as anti-fungal treatments or whatever ], let the water in the pond drop below the level of the crack, let the area dry real good.. Then smear the area with aquarium sealant [ caulk that has no toxic compounds to fish in it ] , press the piece of rubber over the whole and into the sealant firmly, and let dry. I believe it has to sit 24 or 48 hours before it can get wet, so it'd be a few days before you could fill your pond up again.

Back
Top Bottom