Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Leaking plastic fish pond

Hi, I just bought a house in Waco Texas that has a 165 gallon plastic tank. It is 18 inches deep and cascades into a smaller tank.

It leaks. The water level goes down about 2 inches a day. I know nothing about outdoor ponds and was wondering if anyone has experience patching a leak.

Thanks, Andy

Old 11-26-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

try using epoxy or aquarium sealant(caulk)

*QT* 3 goldies
Pond - 1100 gals approx. [in progress]
robotcholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it would be very similar to patching a hole in a pool. Do you actually know where the leak is?
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't use the compound you use to patch a pool tho! It may contain things that, while safe for humans, may hurt your fish!

If the break in the liner is relitivly high, or in a place where you could drop the water level to without hurting your fish, then the best thing to do is to find a piece of Pond grade rubber [ I.E. Rubber without any of the bad stuff in it such as anti-fungal treatments or whatever ], let the water in the pond drop below the level of the crack, let the area dry real good.. Then smear the area with aquarium sealant [ caulk that has no toxic compounds to fish in it ] , press the piece of rubber over the whole and into the sealant firmly, and let dry. I believe it has to sit 24 or 48 hours before it can get wet, so it'd be a few days before you could fill your pond up again.

Tags
leaking, plastic, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com