Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Leaving for College

I leaving for college at the end of August and I need to shut down the pond for the winter before I leave. I have already determined that I need to bring the fish in for the winter. There are about 10 medium sized GF. When I bring them in should I just treat them at regular tropical fish then?, would a 37 gal be a good sized tank? Also should I toss the floating plants and bring in the lilly? After I take the plants and fish out, should i store the filter inside, and then just drain the pond? Also should I cover up the pond with a tarp or something?

Old 08-14-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a thread somewhere in here about winterizing.
How deep is your pond?
GF are not tropical, and like colder water I think. Your lillies should be fine as long as you sink them to the bottom and the pond does not freeze over. Do not drain, because then you have to start your cycle all over again next year. Storing the filter inside is a good idea I think. I am not sure how floating plants do inside, that is what I plan on trying to do when I set up my tank for the pleco and other pond refuges.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My pond is only 1.5 feet deep so wouldnt the plant die. Do I need to buy a de-icer then for the pond to keep it from freezing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com