Many questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CDGQY

Aquarium Advice Regular
I designed and built a fountain in my backyard using a horse trough that holds about 95 gallons of water. Adding little feeder fish seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, the fountain didn't quite work as planned, but a year later, the 14 goldfish are thriving and beautiful. On one end of the tank, I have two cement blocks, one on top of the other and on the other end, one cement block. I have large flat stones and a pot of horsetails on the single block, flat stones between the blocks and on top of the two stacked blocks. These are the cement (cinder) blocks with two large openings. My intent was to provide hiding places and separate zones for the fish and that the layered stones would help keep the water cool during the 100+ degree F summers. They did survive the first summer and nearly freezing temps of winter. Now that they're growing bigger, I think I should remove the cement blocks to open up more of the tank for them. What could I use in place that would still allow hiding places and something upon which to place the flat stones? I sadly realize that they'll likely outgrow their tank. Is there an alternative to finding someone with a pond suitable for my dear fish? Also, the pump keeps the water pretty clear but algae grows pretty quickly on the stones and sides of the tank. Is barley straw the answer? Thanks!

From what I understand, the use of barley straw or barley straw extract for algae control has inconsistent results and that not all species of algae are affected by it.
I've used the extract in a small (<100 gallon) pond with a history of green water algae blooms and it was effective at controlling it. However, mat/hair/string algae runs rampant in the spring and early summer. When the water lilies and other surface plants cover most of the surface, those types of algae are less prevalent.
Depending on the size of the fish, you could use a plastic crate (as in milk crate) in lieu of the cinder blocks.
I've used small sections of the black, corrugated plastic drainage pipe as caves for goldfish to serve as hiding spots against predators.
Btw, 14 goldfish in 100 gallons if not overstocked now, will be soon.

Edit: For some reason only part of my post is being displayed.
I've found that barley straw extra was effective against free floating algae but not against string/may algae. Providing shade will reduce algae and temperature fluctuations. I've found that when the water lily pads have matured and cover most of the ponds surface, the prevalence of the nuisance algae is reduced.

Use bahia if you can find it. Float it on top it will sink. Dont need alot in something that small. Should have N in it as well. Fescue works too

Thanks! I will try the floating plants you mentioned. I've started researching ways to build a larger tank so it will fit in its current space and accommodate these goldfish as they grow larger.

Back
Top Bottom