Medi-koi fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
every since i got the water hyacinth, i have been thinking about setting up a hydroponic/aquaponic like system. maybe getting more pond plants. i want to provide additional aid to my filter. is it possible? if so, what do i need to get to work?

every since i got the water hyacinth, i have been thinking about setting up a hydroponic/aquaponic like system. maybe getting more pond plants. i want to provide additional aid to my filter. is it possible? if so, what do i need to get to work?

For the answer about plants in the pond, see my post #28, above.

For the answer to your more complex question about aquaponics, I have to ask you this...

What do you want out of this pond?

You are combining all sorts of stuff into one pond. Think about the twists and turns in this thread...first, it was koi broker in a much too small environment. Then you down sized your stocking, but didn't really want what you thought would be a headache with plants.

Now, you're asking about aquaponics.

In my view there are many different outdoor water features. Some people just want fountains that recirculate water, and have no livestock or plants. Some people want water gardens, which can be works of art themselves. Some people want to create an ecosystem capable of sustaining itself (once established) with minimal intervention from a human being. Sizes range from multiple acres to small patio fountains or miniature lily containers.

All of them are worthwhile ventures.

If you put plants in your pond, they are going to boost your filtration. Until your pond is a little more mature, I'd plan to use aquatic root tabs in potted pond plants, like lillies, rushes and lotus. All these plants discussed above use carbon dioxide, give off oxygen, consume fish wate, ammonia and nitrate, and create areas of shade and protection for the fish.

However, if you want to get into water gardening without fish, you have to make a decision. Rehome your fish, OR

Start a new pond.

there are no mention plants beside the floating plants. also, i was not aware of the water hyacinth that there were fish eggs. now i have new born fish fries, i do not know what kind of these fries are? can it be fries koi?

there are no mention plants beside the floating plants. also, i was not aware of the water hyacinth that there were fish eggs. now i have new born fish fries, i do not know what kind of these fries are? can it be fries koi?

In post 28, I discussed three types of plants in levels of the water. Stem plants would include anacharis, cabomba, hornwort, ludwigia, moneywort, etc.

I have no idea what kind of fry you have.

In post 28, I discussed three types of plants in levels of the water. Stem plants would include anacharis, cabomba, hornwort, ludwigia, moneywort, etc.

I have no idea what kind of fry you have.

i found a deal on eBay for anacharis, a seller is selling 100 stems for a total of $23.2. should i get it? and as for the fish fries, i will post a picture when there a more daylight. i do not know if i can take a picture of the fries as they might be too small and if i zoom too close i might make the picture fuzzy.

Updated at 8:16 am pdt: the fries are too small, can't take a picture of them. I did a google search of koi fries, the pictures that Google brought up look like the my fries.

i found a deal on eBay for anacharis, a seller is selling 100 stems for a total of $23.2. should i get it? and as for the fish fries, i will post a picture when there a more daylight. i do not know if i can take a picture of the fries as they might be too small and if i zoom too close i might make the picture fuzzy.

Are you saying 100 stems for $23.20? Or $2.32? The first would be a "yeah, but I can match that price just about anywhere on the net..." And here, you can do better than that. Even adding shipping.

You should be able to get anacharis locally. Petco sells it, but I buy mine from my LFS, which also has ponds outside. My LFS price would be comparable to that and as he drags the bunches to the surface, I can look at them and say, "No, not that one. I'd rather have that one."

I also suggest you read about setting up ponds. I've given other pond newbies links in other threads in this forum to do that.

Are you saying 100 stems for $23.20? Or $2.32? The first would be a "yeah, but I can match that price just about anywhere on the net..." And here, you can do better than that. Even adding shipping.

You should be able to get anacharis locally. Petco sells it, but I buy mine from my LFS, which also has ponds outside. My LFS price would be comparable to that and as he drags the bunches to the surface, I can look at them and say, "No, not that one. I'd rather have that one."

I also suggest you read about setting up ponds. I've given other pond newbies links in other threads in this forum to do that.

100 stems for 23.20 including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom