Midge Before Wen Surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Midge's right eye is now almost completely covered with wen. It is gorgeous but have made obstacles quite difficult. This is his only good eye as he lost the other when he was younger. His brother has a nice wen growing but his eye are totally prominent. I just couldn't stand it any longer. In spite of my husband's disgruntled looks, I made an appointment at the Purdue University vet clinic for March 30. I could not believe how difficult it was to find an exotic vet who also does fish. If it wasn't so close around his eye I might have attempted it. I was to scared I would leave him totally blind. I figure it is a $150-$200 well spent, in spite of the fact that hubby says, "He is only a fish". Scoff....he is my buddy.

Here are two before pictures. I will post pictures again after the surgery.

After our correspondence I decided to take your advice and attempt this procedure myself. As you said, not all of it has to be trimmed at once. I watched videos and read related articles. Today I got up enough courage to take the first steps.

My only goal today was to open up the area on top of the eye to regain some vision

I followed all sterilization protocol for tools and surface. I retrieved my Midge in his aquarium water and added the specified amount of clove oil to sedate him. He was never totally motionless but I was afraid to give him more oil than recommended (he is one tuff cookie).

I had my husband dropping anesthesia water on his gill for oxygen and sedation while I began my trim. I was not prepared for the slickness and how easily the scissors slipped off. I was using suture removal scissors but maybe they aren't sharp enough or maybe too small to cut through that unexpectedly tuff tissue.

For my comfort, and his, I only cleared the tissue directly over the eye. I plan to give him a weeks rest and then work some more.

I helped him recover from anesthesia in a container of his tank water and then transferred him to his pretreated recovery tank with Epsom and aquarium salts.

He recovered from anesthesia quickly. I checked on him several times. I know he can definitely see now. He is hovering directly over food bits. Before it was kind of like Hide and Seek for him. What I think he is experiencing right now is good sight with tunnel vision. He needs to have more tissue removed from around the eye. We also noticed that we might be nipping a problem in the bud if we go ahead and trim some Wen off of the gills.

I will work on it a little at a time, giving him a week between each procedure. He is an extremely tame and patient guy but I don't want to stress him. Suppossedly, the Wen is compared to Fingernails or Hair. There are no nerve endings so hence no pain. The stress is being removed from the tank, sedated and then removed from water onto a sterile environment.

He recovered quickly and while I was sterile I worked on one of Bubbles' scales that was darkened around the edge. The scale popped out and I dabbed with hydrogen peroxide.

Attached is a picture of Midge before our first procedure and then one afterward. The last picture is of Bubby, Midge's sibling. Drastic difference in Wen and length. Same diet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1428880923948.jpg
    1428880923948.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 1428880949476.jpg
    1428880949476.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 1428880971717.jpg
    1428880971717.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 99
Excuse the smear glass. I just used a towel to wipe it. I don't want any chemicals around the fishies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, definitely not a quick procedure as I am terribly inexperienced. I was extremely careful around his eye. He was out of the watet about 15 to 20 minutes but every few a would give him a dip and swirl in the anesthesia water.

I am going for a search on EBAY for a better pair of scissors before I attempt his next surgery.:)

Great job!!! I knew you could do it! :)
Next time, it will be much simpler and easier and you will know what to expect! I would try a larger pair of cuticle scissors next time as these are easier to maneuver than suture scissors and have a more distinct curve. Check these sizes in a drugstore first if your going to order online. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First two pics are of Midge (he is too cute for words). The last picture is of his sibling Bubby. He is a sweetheart too. I was just showing a comparison of Wen and eyes on the same diet. Genetics at play!

Back
Top Bottom