molly problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had an adult black molly in my tank for awhile now, today I added a dalmation molly, I have no clue if there male or females, but the black molly hasn't left the new molly alone, he rams his nose into her underside and what not? he used to do this to the betta but now has moved on to the other molly, what gives?

You should keep several females for each male molly, they will harass a single female too much, trying to spawn. Sexing is simple, the males have a narrow anal fin (gonopodium) used for internal fertilization. Females are shaped differently, and have a normal anal fin.

I agree that you need more females. Mollies like to mate a lot, and will kill a female trying to mate all the time. I have one male to 6 females. That is excessive in most cases but my male is incorrigible! All 6 females are pregnant, and he just keeps going after them and after them. Darn little bugger.

I had 3 very large females and ended up trading them in and as soon as they were dropped in the store tank, the smaller males were all over them! But yeah, look at the anal fin. That's your key.

its always the anal fin that'll get ya, turns out I have a juvenile female, and an adult male, stupid fish and there horomones

Back
Top Bottom