moon light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading a little about the moon lights. it seems my fish dont like the drastic from pitch black to even low light, so I thought it might be a good idea, anyway, I have seen a couple different versions and Im wonderin ghow you guys have mounted them and if you have used the submersable versions? I dont have a glass lid to put it over so thats out.
let me know. Thanks. Dan

I dont use these kind of lights. Do you want to absorvethe aquarium life at night time? If so, there are some color lights that fish dont see. I think it was red light... but Im not quite sure.

Im also interested in getting moonlight so im gonna watch this topic and see who replies. What is teh easiest way to set it up? Any links to good products?

When I decided to plant my 20 high, I went ahead and got this PC strip so I could watch my gold nugget pleco with the moonlight.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29597;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Of course it comes in lots of sizes, some with multiple bulbs. Sadly, my gold nugget didn't make it, but I still really like the light. It has 2 power cords, one each for the CF bulb and moonlight, but only one switch so the moonlight is on all the time. It's a really cool effect at night time, and now I can watch my bristlenose.

Dan, what size is your tank? www.thatpetplace.com has glass tops for pretty cheap if you need one.

I happen to have a light fixture that has moonlights within it.

I run mine on a 24 hour cycle and actually need 3 seperate light timers to do it properly.

When you mentioned that your fish don't like harsh on and harsh off, i am wondering if you have the room to put another single strip light on top of your tank? The reason i ask this is because if you put an actinic light there, it is a way of helping easing them into light changes.

I will use my setup as an example...

from 12:30am - 7:30am my tank is completely dark (no lights on above the tank)
from 7:30am - 9:00am 2 blue LED lights come on
from 8:55am-11:05pm my actinic lights come on (note the overlap)
from 9:55am - 10:15pm my white lights come on (note the overlap)
from 11:00pm - 12:30 am my Blue LED lights come on (note the overlap)

dark -> LED -> LED and actinic -> actinic -> actinic and white -> actinic -> actinic and LED -> LED -> dark (repeat)

Very systematic, but the structure is more natural to a fish cycle.
Hope tha helps some

huh, I may end up woth a glass top. if they are that cheap. sorru tank is a all glass 29. Thanks again. dan

I've got these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12760&N=2004+113544

Good price, easy to find a way to install them and expandable if you decide to get a bigger tank.

Me and my fish love them. This is how I have them mounted on the bottom of my normal light strip:
1000191.jpg

Can't say enough good things about them!

Back
Top Bottom