My fish just swims in the same spot and she's lonely, any good companions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenLover224

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well my new black moor goldfish, Rue, just swims in the same spot all day. I checked her and she's like still there, sometimes she swims but then she goes back! She barely goes up to the surface for air(i installed an air pump), or maybe I just miss seeing it happen. I got her 9/28/13 an she is a bit shy(Like Rue from the Hunger Games :3)and lonely in her tank and I was thinking of getting her a friend but what kind of fish should I get?

Can you give us your tank size, filter, water change schedule, and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings from a liquid test kit? She sounds stressed to me, especially if you just got her today :)

She's not in the 2.5g tank is she??

I'm holding my breath here waiting for you to laugh and tell me you got another tank and just haven't updated your profile! :nono:

I'm just using the 2.5 as a temporary, I might buy a bigger tank tomorrow, not sure but I hope I will be able too

2.5 gallons is waaaaaaaay too small.... Shouldn't even be used as a temp. tank.... Wouldn't surprise me is he is stressed from ammonia poisoning honestly.

Yea but sadly I was on a budget at that time and all the other tanks were like 30 or more and I had around 20 and this was my only option and I just thought 'The fish will only be there for one or two days' so I bought and saved up a bit for tank stuff, like decor and gravel, and then I saved up for water conditioner and fish food, then I bought the fish and a snail. I'm gonna go on Craigslist or a pet store website and check out the tanks, like a 5 gallon, to see which one I can afford.

Nope, sorry, they need a 25-30+ gallon tank, plus a large HOB filter, or a canister. I know it's hard sometimes to afford everything, but IMO if you can't afford the basics you shouldn't have it :(
Sorry

They still produce a tremendous amount of waste and need a large tank, filter, and water changing schedule.

Now that is something I do know, I remember having a ryukin goldfish when I was a little kid an Swimmy was a messy fish but somehow he lived up for 5 years along with my sister's black moor, Becky(somehow I remember all of their names).

You could always return the moor and get some nano fish for a 10 or 20g. The only livestock suitable for a 2.5 is snails, shrimp or a betta. (And that is hotly contested opinion!!)

Your moor will grow as large as a grapefruit and live a good 15 years, so you need to take that into consideration :)

In the meantime, you'll need a liquid test kit that includes tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Because your tank is new and uncycled, and being so small, the water will become toxic VERY quickly. You need to do a large water change whenever ammo gets over .25
Until you can test the water, I would suggest 2x 50% water changes daily, otherwise you are going to go through a lot of heartache and expense treating for poisoning and disease.

Back
Top Bottom