My friends goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my friend got a 55 gallon like 2-2.5 months ago and Petco told him to cycle with goldfish. He got about 30 and 15 survived... and now they're huge. Petco, being inconsiderate and irresponsible, refused to take them back and told him killing them himself is the only solution.

Since my friend actually has feelings unlike the cruel pet store, he is in a huge dilemma. The goldfish keep adding ammonia to his tank and its way overstocked anyway but he can't get rid of them! We are both trying to find a solution. Help?

I would just give them away. Besides, if they are commet goldfish, you can only keep one in there, not 30. That is just insane.

That is terrible, i wish there was a way to report these type of incidents. Do you have a local arboretum or town pond that would take them. A college in my town sponsors a town arboretum that has a pond with many goldfish.

I know right! Nobody would take them though. We are all in the city and usually having any tank above 100-150 gallons is absurd or unheard of, which is what would be required to hold those kind of fish. My friend thought about using aquabid but even the finest of flatrate UPS boxes couldn't fit all those goldfish without a ridiculous price and a most likely negative profit

I think your best bet is to seek out a local pond club to see if any of its members could help you out.

You could try posting an ad on Craigslist and see if someone with a pond would want them. What a horrible situation. :(

Post an add on craigslist seeking a happy pond home. Also check for pond stores in your area. Both of my pond stores will take goldies in need of a new home. They also have extensive client lists of pond owners that would be willing to rehome goldies as well. Good luck!!

Thank you all. Which is more likely for success: aquabid or craigslist?

Craigslist. In my area, theres always a couple of 'wanted' ads too for people looking to stock their ponds. Your not going to find anyone willing to pay for common goldies or the shipping costs involved.

Imagine the price to pay for flatrate priority boxes and all those fish

If you are looking for a donation site, try city parks with koi ponds or botanicals gardens. I'm in dfw so I understand I have more options then most folks, but we have four within an hour drive.

You may also try eBay. I would put the bid to start with a penny plus shipping costs. Who knows, someone might bid on them. You can set up an eBay account for nothing and you don't pay much for selling.

Another thought. If you don't mind them being feeder fish, you might try a local aquarium, terrarium, or a zoo. At least they would die for a reason. :(

You may also try eBay. I would put the bid to start with a penny plus shipping costs. Who knows, someone might bid on them. You can set up an eBay account for nothing and you don't pay much for selling.

Another thought. If you don't mind them being feeder fish, you might try a local aquarium, terrarium, or a zoo. At least they would die for a reason. :(

Thank you! It's good to have a backup plan as well like you said

Caveat emptor. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

That said, it sounds like Craigslist might be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom