My Mischievous Koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bandita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just wanted to share a story about 1 of my crazy kois that has quite a personality. A few days ago, I was gazing at my kois, when one of them started making a strange face with his mouth. He had me worried because he looked like he was choking. Sure enough, a small rubberband popped out of his mouth (I have no idea how the rubberband got inside the tank). Just as I was relieved that he was able to expel this, and I was ready to get up to retrieve the rubberband, the moment I moved, he made a mad dash to the rubberband and swallowed it right up! I was devastated, thinking that I missed my chance to free him of this! I kept an eye on him, and after a few minutes, sure enough, he was giving those strange looks again with his mouth. I was prepared this time in being ready if he spit it out again. As soon as he spit it out, I darted toward him, and he made a mad dash to the rubberband again. But this time, my quick movement startled him, so instead of grabbing the band, he swam away real quick. I was able to quickly remove the band, and I was so relieved. I've had these kois for about 1 1/2 years now, and never realized they'd be like little kids, getting themselves into trouble. I feed them a variety of tasty treats (fruits and vegetables) in addition to their regular koi food, and I read that kois can taste, so I don't understand why he was so persistent in trying to eat this rubberband.

Very funny story about the rubber band! Fish can be real characters!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom