My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I'm going to build an in ground pond in my front yard this spring/summer in the nature of 1,300 gallons. I'll be using EDPM liner and probably a DIY filter in a 55 gallon drum. I've attached the only evidence of this project thus so far, but more to come- I promise.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427243462209.jpg
    1427243462209.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 463
Look forward to updates! Dig straight down except for perhaps a shelf for marginals. This will keep out the four-legged predators anyway! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There will be one shelf at 24 inches for maintenance access, the rest will be straight down with a depth of 3 feet. The dimensions are approximately 7x10. I'm trying to nail down my liner size, and hoping I can do it with a 20x20 piece for the lower price.

What are you planning to stock it with?

Originally just goldfish, but (since I'll have capacity) I'll probably have a couple of koi in there as well since they have so much personality. Plus I love those butterfly koi. That's later though, premium koi are $$

There will be one shelf at 24 inches for maintenance access, the rest will be straight down with a depth of 3 feet. The dimensions are approximately 7x10. I'm trying to nail down my liner size, and hoping I can do it with a 20x20 piece for the lower price.

Go bigger with the liner as you are really cutting it too close. You want a minimum of a 2ft overlay on the ground around the pond after the pond is filled. Minimum. I honestly wish I had made my overlay 3-4ft as water and rain does strange things over the years....

Second thing I would offer is do not purchase your liner until you are 100% finished digging and you remeasure. You may discover when digging that you may not be able to dig in a certain direction (rock, roots, cables, pipes, etc) or that 7x10 suddenly looks rather small. Best advice- go bigger than you plan to! Number one regret of pond builders (esp DIY)- they should have made it bigger. Speaking from the the been there, done that club. :)

I've actually already gone bigger than I had planned. I originally intended to build something in the 800 gallon range in a different area of my yard where I wouldn't see it every day. I though out made little sense for my neighbors to enjoy something built for me, so I relocated my planned construction and expanded my capacity a bit. I think I'm not going to disappoint myself as this isn't the last pond I'll build, but hopefully the only one I build at this house.

When you are digging lay in 3' tiers. This makes it more friendly for different type of edge water plants that require different depths.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree about liner. We bought liner that was environmentally fish friendly but not guaranteed through a FL provider. Saved us a ton of money but definitely no toxic chemicals forvfish. I agree, over buy footage. Tiers and depth require more than you can estimate. There must be more than adequate liner to weight on the fringes. Excess can always be trimmed. More Economical to do it right the first time. Depth should be lower than 3' freeze line in cold winter areas. Fish can sink below freeze line and a pond heater to keep an opening is enough for gas exchange after water has frozen unless you have a fast flowing water fall so that pond never totally freezes over.

Update: Painted final shape on ground yesterday, will break ground this afternoon one wheel barrow load at a time.

Does anyone know a good guide or a explanation of making a DIY pressurized filter using gravel/sand that is back flushable? I'm going to be using a 35 gallon drum to make a filter and I'd really like to make it backflushable for easy maintenance. I understand the concept of backflushing and think I know how I can make it work on a barrel with just a couple valves. My biggest thing is media.

Can I use just rounded pea gravel and lava rocks or do I need sand and whatnot?

When you are digging lay in 3' tiers. This makes it more friendly for different type of edge water plants that require different depths.

I'm actually planning on having one shelf 24" deep so that I can get in the pond for maintenance, but otherwise it will be 36" straight down to help keep predators at bay since I have herons, racoons, cats, etc.

Broke ground today!

Attachments

• 1428342401995.jpg
    1428342401995.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 1428342424588.jpg
    1428342424588.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 333
*cough* red tailed catfish* *cough*

Just kidding please don't... It's a monster fish.

There is many types of sunfish, that would be super cool to me.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Update: Painted final shape on ground yesterday, will break ground this afternoon one wheel barrow load at a time.

Does anyone know a good guide or a explanation of making a DIY pressurized filter using gravel/sand that is back flushable? I'm going to be using a 35 gallon drum to make a filter and I'd really like to make it backflushable for easy maintenance. I understand the concept of backflushing and think I know how I can make it work on a barrel with just a couple valves. My biggest thing is media.

Can I use just rounded pea gravel and lava rocks or do I need sand and whatnot?

You can check here for ideas: http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/1868/diy-drum-filter/p1
IMO sand, gravel, lava rock might be too heavy for air pressure back washing. I've used expanded shale and lava rock in biolfilters in the past. Very heavy and hard to clean. What I found that worked better was floating plastic media (Google search "Pall Rings"). I would shut off the filter, take a stick and stir up the media, open the drain, and let the chocolate milk colored waste water flow out.

I would shut off the filter, take a stick and stir up the media, open the drain, and let the chocolate milk colored waste water flow out.

Great. I'm never drinking chocolate milk again.

Back
Top Bottom