Mystery eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello
My friend emailed me this pic of some eggs she found in her pond. She wanted to know what they were. I told her probably snail eggs but that I would post her pic here to see what you all thought. Her pond inhabitant are goldfish, koi, large black pond snails and frogs. I've never seen a snail lay eggs in a streamer like that but, it was my best guess.

That's exactly what I thought. Some showed up in my brother's pond, though the fish made quick work of the tadpoles once they hatched.

I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating. Yes, they are toad eggs. A few weeks ago, my wife and I were outside and noticed something going on in the upper pond. Well let me tell you there were 2 toads right in the middle of breeding! My wife was totally fascinated by the process, I found her reaction to be hilarious! She even tried to take pics! (They didn't come out well, or I would have possibly posted them.)

I now have hundreds 8O of tadpoles in that pond, and my whole "spring pond opening" has been put on hold. The upper pond only has native minnows and shiners in it, mostly too small to eat the tadpoles. But, if I turn on the pumps, many will be caught in the filter or washed down the waterfall to the lower pond, where big hungry golfish await!

I also have a barrel full of tadpoles, they come from the local tree frogs. They are as safe as they can make themselves if they hide in the plants. Several birds know they are there (Starlings and Mockingbirds) and the birds will perch on the edge of the barrel and eat tadpoles. I don't try to interfere, let nature take its course.

Most toad tadpoles (which is what these will become) get somewhat toxic as they get older & are less susceptible to predation. That is why toad tadpoles school when they get bigger - they present a dark signal to predator that says I'm icky. The eggs though have no such protection so you might want to set some aside in a safe place if you want toadlets.

So Corvus what is a spring pond opening?? Pond party??

Back
Top Bottom