Namco Swimming Pool Liner and Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J Migidy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I decided to construct a new pond. A big one. About 3500 gallons. I finished the hole late in the season so rather then spend the money on a black pond liner I decided to do something cheaper. I received a Namco Swimming Pool liner for free so I used that for now. I have a UV light and the biggest Tetra Pond Gravity Filter they make. I lined the edge and shelves with river rocks found locally. They were pressure washed and set out in the sun for days. I did a vinegar test on them and they did not fizz. Water lilies and floating pond plants thrive. The pond is a little over a week old. I decided to add some feeders to get the filter cycling. Within 24 hours all my fish were dead. The water temp is around 75 degrees. Ammonia is none existent since fish were not in there long enough, PH is around 7.5 and KH is around 175. I'm pretty sure these levels would not kill fish. I'm wondering if I played russian roulette with my free pool liner and lost? Could toxins be released from a brand new pool liner and kill the fish? :confused:

I would say toxins from the plastic pool liner. The best way to get rid of them is ot fill and drain it a few times.

I would say toxins from the plastic pool liner. The best way to get rid of them is ot fill and drain it a few times.

So toxins coming from the liner do not pollute the water indefinitely and eventually will stop? After that it will be safe? Ot fill? I'm not familiar with that acronym. Do you mean drain it and fill it a few times? How many times? Thanks for the reply BTW. :rolleyes:

Im sorry i ment to drain and fill it a few times. Thats the only way to remove the toxins and thats not always guaranteed. I would say 5 or 6 times should be ok. Just keep trying with feeder fish fish before putting anything costly in there. IM sorry about me screwing up my spelling. Ive had a few drinks today and my fingers cant seem to keep up with what im thinking.

Im sorry i ment to drain and fill it a few times. Thats the only way to remove the toxins and thats not always guaranteed. I would say 5 or 6 times should be ok. Just keep trying with feeder fish fish before putting anything costly in there. IM sorry about me screwing up my spelling. Ive had a few drinks today and my fingers cant seem to keep up with what im thinking.

LOL....it's all good! Thanks again for the reply. Yeah I have a show butterfly koi that needs a bigger home and I'm not gonna risk losing him. I've become very attached! I'll try draining and filling a few times and keep trying with feeder fish until I know everything is ok. I hope it works! :uzi:

Back
Top Bottom