Need Help Identifying Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerFusion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, my Daughter won this little guy at the local carnival. It looks like a Comet, but it is Calico Colored. I went to my local pet store and looked around at their Goldfish and Koi tanks. The Calico Comets they had were more muted colors. The Shubunkin they had had different tails. I almost think he looks like a Koi.

Don't worry, he was only in the Betta Tank for one night.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407892083.750816.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407892101.315518.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407892151.765952.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The calico coloring is possible in comet goldfish from what I understand (feel free to correct me, I don't know all that much about goldfish, but I have seen calico comets at lfs) you are very lucky! He is a beautiful fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He doesn't look in the greatest of conditions, without meaning to offend his tail looks a little clamped. If he was from a carnival he probably wasn't looked after very well. Sometimes when adding new fish its a good idea to add a general tonic treatment just to clear any bacterial infections he may have. Melafix is completely natural and I use it when adding new additions its about 8 pound. Lasts a long time and will give him a good chance and a new start.

Lovely home you have set up for him though. I think he is a Calico Comet. Had you just got him in the first pic? he looks better in the second.

Lovely home you have set up for him though. I think he is a Calico Comet. Had you just got him in the first pic? he looks better in the second.

Thanks Guppy & Em,

Yes, the first pic is the Betta tank he came home in. My Mother-In-Law thought he was a Betta, so they picked up that itty bitty thing. He was just won an hour or so prior to that picture.

We have had him 3 weeks now and he is doing GREAT!!! His fins and tail are all out stretched and he darts around the 10 gallon tank and slowly swims over the air stones like he is in a Jacuzzi. :fish2:

He is growing too!! I can see having to upgrade his home in a few months. The fun part will be convincing my wife that he needs a Bigger Home BEFORE he is too big.

I will post new pics soon.

Yeah he looks a lot better in the tank pics. They don't get a good life in carnivals and fairs so you have done a good thing winning him :). I find the same with pets at home I feel like I am rescuing the fish so I buy them from there lol. And that is a Pet shop most fish I have got from there needed a bit of treatment before they were healthy and thriving. Good Luck with him he is a beautiful looking fish. He should get massive lol

My Daughter named him Pierce McBubbles.

I am Pleased to say that Pierce is doing Fantastic and in about a week, He is Moving to his New Mansion!!! Just picked up a Marineland 75 Gallon Majesty Ensemble (base, glass hood and LED Light Bar) at PS and hope to have him in by the end of this week!!!!:lol:

My Daughter named him Pierce McBubbles.

I am Pleased to say that Pierce is doing Fantastic and in about a week, He is Moving to his New Mansion!!! Just picked up a Marineland 75 Gallon Majesty Ensemble (base, glass hood and LED Light Bar) at PS and hope to have him in by the end of this week!!!!:lol:

Good to know that he's still happy and healthy! My experience with fish from carnivals isn't good - most of them have died within the month :( good for Pierce to still be alive x

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom