need help sealing a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
What can you use to seal a pond (part rock, part concrete) with an uneven surface. A liner would be extremely hard to install. Are there any liquids available that stretch slightly when cured to allow for seasonal temperature related expansion and contractions?

i think theres some sort of spray and i think there might be a paint type thing. like polyurethane or something?

theres also something called well diggers mud. its like a powder that watertights stuff like wells. ive heard of people using this on their ponds. the real name for this is sodium bentonite

how about trying fiberglass two part system comes in sheets of a fiber material then you use a resin with a harding agent and trowel or paint it on to the fiber sheets, i'm currently working on a inground fiberglass pond just in the designing stage right now

There are cement based coatings available to seal basements that should work for waht you are trying to do. I don't have a brand name since I last used it 20 years ago. It is basically painted on using a very coarse brush. It comes in various colours, and requires a couple of coats, but it worked very well when I used it. It should work even better, in your case as you are trying to keep water in, whereas, I was trying to keep it out. Check the building stores. The stuff I used was a cement powder, that you mixed with water. Basically, it was similar to parging.

I am just worried about the water quality afterwards. Afterall, I do want plants and fish to be able to survive in the sealed pond.

Back
Top Bottom