Need help with butterfly tail calico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xgamer2391

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I'm newbie in the forum :hide:, but I've been reading many threads from this site about goldfish care and they helped me a lot:D. I just bought a butterfly tail calico from a breeder farm in miami and when I put it in the tank I saw it has like a "little bone" or spike coming out of its "throat" under the skin, i uploaded a video so anyone can give me an advice what it is:thanks:

Hi and welcome! I'm going to move your thread to our Freshwater-Coldwater section, you should get more replies there. :)

Welcome to AA!!

Your video did not post. Can you provide us with a pic of what you are seeing? Tank specs? Parameters? Thanks!

tank parameters and pics

I figured my video didn't upload when I tried to see it and there was nothing.
tank: 36 gallon bowfront
ammonia and nitrites at 0
nitrate 5
5 goldies(overcrowded but I only have two about 2-3 inches, rest are 1-2 inches),
filter: fluval aquaclear 70 gallon (water is clearer than crystal)

reminder: i need help to know what that little bone or spike is, I bought the calico just three days ago from a breeder farm and it came like that, it doesn't look like a nodule

Attachments

• P6210133.jpg
    P6210133.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 48
  • P6210136.jpg
    P6210136.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks! Did he have this when you purchased him? Is it firm like a bone protruding or is it a growth of some sort? Have you contacted the breeder about this? He is a cute little telescope!

From where I bought it to where i live it is like 2 hours trip in car and he was okay along with an orange oranda that i bought too. Im gonna be honest and say that i was just looking for a "butterfly tail" telescope so i was just focus on their tails and because he/she was in a pond i couldn't check it as i should:banghead:, although it is the first time i see something like that, but hey we learn new things everyday. that little bone or thing is hard and is under the skin, that is why i believe it's not a nodule, i dont know if they have bones or cartilage in their throat or under their mouth( he/she can open its mouth perfectly and eats good, it is also active)
I already named it "Bony" from "bone":nono:, thanks for the quick reply and your concern

Can you possibly call the breeder and talk to him? I honestly have not seen a fish with a bony growth of this sort but perhaps it's just a genetic deformity. If the breeder can reassure you there are no concerns and he is happy and active and able to eat normally, I would not be overly concerned. Are the new fish being quarantined?

i dont have a quarantine tank(I really need one, no excuses for not having) but i treated them for three days with melafix just in case of any infection or bacteria. about calling the breeder i don't think they are gonna be of much help considering the attention they offered me when i bought the fish, they didn't even know where they had the butterfly tail goldfish. Im gonna keep an eye on it to see if anything change. im also considering buying stress coat plus cuz i guess you can treat your fish without having to remove the activated carbon, correct me if im wrong:oops:. Im gonna believe he/she was born like that and what matters now is that i will take good care of it. Bony and me thank you for your help and im glad i joined this site(y)

Not a fan of melafix but the carbon should remove it to some degree. Keep a close eye on him and if anything new develops, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

Back
Top Bottom