Need you pond guys' suggestions for what I should do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I go for the planter/pot or full-fledged pond?

• Planter/Pot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, I was just wondering about setting up a pond, although i dont really want to do a big, dig hole, lot of dirt, hard work, I'm lazy, you know what i mean. So i'm toying with the idea of getting a really neat big concrete tree planter or pot or somthing that looks cool that I can just have on the patio. Anyways, would this really count as a pond? is it hard to take care of? what do i need? and is it a good idea? I really dont know anything about the subject so fill me in please. Thanks a lot.

Get one of those whiskey barrel cut in half and some liner. fill with water. you can use a bamboo or one of those old time water pump with a handle to use for a water movement and as a decoration. One gold fish and a potted plant.

I got just the thing for you. At my local Home Depot, they have these things called DuraBarrel. They look like a half whiskey barrel, but are made of good thick plastic. No liner necessary. I now have 4 of them, just picked up 3 more. Cost, 30 bucks a piece. Then you can pick up a small filter/recirculator that runs off of a powerhead and you are ready to go.

Couple floating plants, 1-2 marginal plants, couple goldfish, you got a pond!

I assume you still live with your folks? I'm sure they'd have the final say in regards to you digging up the yard, plus, it can get kinda pricey!

The barrel sounds good because then you can bring it in for winter. My pond froze solid this year, I live in central Illinois, so next year I will have to move my fish to an indoor aquarium for the winter.

Good ideas. Do you by any chance have a picture of the DuraBarrel? I am also wondering what kind of fish to get. My neighbors have a pond with carp in it, and they stay out all winter long, without a heater. Occationally they have to go out to break up the ice, but thats about it. Id say thats pretty good for the weather around here (D.C./metropolitan area)

My pond froze solid this year, I live in central Illinois, so next year I will have to move my fish to an indoor aquarium for the winter.

You might consider another option, I don't believe corvuscorax or Murphy wintered their fish inside and Murphy lives in Canada, both had their fish make it through the winter. You might simply need to go a little deeper or look into a deicing device.

My pond froze solid this year, I live in central Illinois

Froze solid!! Wow! How deep is it? it must be too shallow.

De icers work great, keep a hole in the ice, goldfish or koi can stay out all winter.

i bring in some baby fish, find some winters they don't make it.

Barrells must be brought in or they will freeze and possibly break. Mine has always been brought in or at leaste emptied and turned upside down so it wont fill with ice and break.

http://www.worldwise.com/durbar.html durabarrel website, I have to look at it some more myself!

Corvuscorax is right, your pond needs to be a minimum of 36 inches deep to overwinter any fish and a small deicer or aquarium heater ( I used a Ebo Jager) 8O to keep a small hole open for gasses to escape. :eyes:

Back
Top Bottom