Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Definetly take some precautions for predators. We had a 2 foot deep preformed pond that was totally cleaned out by a racoon(s) over night. We tried netting on top afterwards which was weighed down by heavy rocks around the perimeter. Didn't work at all, he got under it knocked the rocks in the pond and he ate about half of our fish and pulled out the rest to die on the lawn. We got one of those floating gators (although I think ours actually looks like a croc) and it has kept him away since. Thinking it might work for herons as well since we haven't had any problems with them either, but not 100% sure as we never did before either.

Here's some more info that might help: The Complete Alligator Decoy Guide

Old 06-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

New 8x11 Pond.

At only 2 feet, be sure to add something like a piece of 10" pipe as a hiding spot. Herons are capable of hunting that depth and if they find your pond they will clean it out even with the hiding spot. Putting it under a small tree or other cover will help prevent this, by blocking their view from the air.

You can easily over winter that pond, especially with that size pump. That pump is more than enough for that size and plenty to prevent it from freezing solid. If you can afford it, rent a mini excavator to dig your pond. It's worth it. Call miss utility or other similar service to get the lines marked BEFORE you dig.

Oh, just so you know that kit is for a 6x4x2 pond, not 8x11

Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have had my pond for 9 years ( 10x14 ) and have blue herons around at times but they have never got to my koi. I use a triangle " Sun Screen " that I suspend over the pond from poles at each corner . The breeze keeps the screen moving up and down which in turns keeps the heron away. Also it provides shade for the koi during hot days. Has worked great for me . Good luck

Tags
pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com