New 8x11 Pond.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quartz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, was looking for some advice on building my first pond. I’ve done a lot of research and I think I’ve settled on the 8 x 11 DIY MicroPond kit from aquascape sold through BigAls. Link below. It will be 7x 10 with a 5-6ft stream. My one question is it comes with the Aquascape 2000 pump, wondering if this is enough for what I will want to do? Any other tips or tricks?

https://www.bigalspets.com/ca/aquascape-micropond-kits.html?sku=34807

On a side note anyone on here order from Pets and Ponds? Link below as well. Looks a tad strange to me.

http://www.petsandponds.com

How deep is it and are you planning on winterizing it or keeping the fish indoors during the winter?
It has to be a minimum if 6ft to winterize from what I hear.

Sounds good, what are you planning on keeping? Also watch out for herons and other fish eating birds,I've heard horror stories from people with ponds of their fish mysteriously disappearing.

petsandponds is 100% wonderful to deal with. Jason is a great guy, if you have any questions he is super helpful. Prices are good, shipping is fast and efficient, ordering is a breeze. 110% i recommend pets and ponds.

Throw a couple of trough heaters in the bottom of the pond over winter. If you keep koi or large goldfish they will survive over winter.

How deep is it and are you planning on winterizing it or keeping the fish indoors during the winter?
It has to be a minimum if 6ft to winterize from what I hear.
It depends on your area and how cold it gets over winter. Most places all you need is 3 feet of water and it won't entirely freeze.

Sounds good, what are you planning on keeping? Also watch out for herons and other fish eating birds,I've heard horror stories from people with ponds of their fish mysteriously disappearing.

I have had koi for 10 years and they are great to watch. My pond is 10' x 20' x 3' deep. I have only lost 1 koi to a blue heron. I keep a blue heron decoy on the edge of the pond and move it every 5-7 days. The big key is to put up a triangular canopy ( get off line ) over a portion of your pond. I installed it with rebar drove in the ground and 1-1/4" pvc slid over it . At the top end of the pvc I installed an eye hook. The end of the canopy should have a nylon rope on it with a hook that will attach to the poles. The canopy will move up and down as the wind blows , thus scaring the herons away. It will also act as shade for you fish in the hot summer days. Has worked great for me. Canopy is approximately 6-1/2 feet above pond. If winds blows heavy unhook 2 places and roll up until wind stops. Good Luck

Definetly take some precautions for predators. We had a 2 foot deep preformed pond that was totally cleaned out by a racoon(s) over night. We tried netting on top afterwards which was weighed down by heavy rocks around the perimeter. Didn't work at all, he got under it knocked the rocks in the pond and he ate about half of our fish and pulled out the rest to die on the lawn. We got one of those floating gators (although I think ours actually looks like a croc) and it has kept him away since. Thinking it might work for herons as well since we haven't had any problems with them either, but not 100% sure as we never did before either.

Here's some more info that might help: The Complete Alligator Decoy Guide

At only 2 feet, be sure to add something like a piece of 10" pipe as a hiding spot. Herons are capable of hunting that depth and if they find your pond they will clean it out even with the hiding spot. Putting it under a small tree or other cover will help prevent this, by blocking their view from the air.

You can easily over winter that pond, especially with that size pump. That pump is more than enough for that size and plenty to prevent it from freezing solid. If you can afford it, rent a mini excavator to dig your pond. It's worth it. Call miss utility or other similar service to get the lines marked BEFORE you dig.

Oh, just so you know that kit is for a 6x4x2 pond, not 8x11

I have had my pond for 9 years ( 10x14 ) and have blue herons around at times but they have never got to my koi. I use a triangle " Sun Screen " that I suspend over the pond from poles at each corner . The breeze keeps the screen moving up and down which in turns keeps the heron away. Also it provides shade for the koi during hot days. Has worked great for me . Good luck

Back
Top Bottom