New Aquarist with Two Black Moors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouLou15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm new here and new to the hobby of fish keeping! :) I did a lot of research and got two black moors. They are in a 5 gallon (only tank I could afford) with a powerful filter. Tank is crystal clear all the time! I've got a few decorations, but I'm looking for a live plant to add. Any suggestions??? And I'm curious about what other cold freshwater fish are compatible with black moors??

Woah, you need a bigger tank ! Like at least 50g before you do anything else.

Okay. The guy above me is being a bit foolish. :/ but what I would suggest is yea get a bigger tank for them fish. Man they're gonna die in there. Uh they get pretty big, (bigger than your hand) and will die. Only thing I would suggest is getting a 20 gallon tank for them OR bringing them back to the fish store for new fish.

Okay so suppose you bring them back and still have the little tank? I suggest a pair of african dwarf frogs. They're small little freshwater frogs that only get a few inches and will do fine in that little 5 gallon. Unfortunately you can't do much more than that. ( other than a betta fish or a guppy.)

Okay so my final suggestion would be...BRING THE BLACK MOORS BACK. I cant stress that enough. Then go ahead and use the 5 gal for some different fish. If the tank doesn't have a filter then GET ONE! Also a heater would work. (Small one) you also need to cycle your tank. Look up aquarium cycle on google. Its very necessary.

Many people go to the pet store to get that little goldfish to put into the small fish tank you got. Pet stores love this you know why? They sell the fish, it dies and they make profit when you go back and buy another, and another. Do research on your fish as well. You may not know that you need to cycle your tank like I said before, you need to cycle it for atleast two weeks before adding fish. This may be overwhelming but this is what your getting into with fishtanks.

Okay. The guy above me is being a bit foolish. :/ but what I would suggest is yea get a bigger tank for them fish. Man they're gonna die in there. Uh they get pretty big, (bigger than your hand) and will die. Only thing I would suggest is getting a 20 gallon tank for them OR bringing them back to the fish store for new fish.

Okay so suppose you bring them back and still have the little tank? I suggest a pair of african dwarf frogs. They're small little freshwater frogs that only get a few inches and will do fine in that little 5 gallon. Unfortunately you can't do much more than that. ( other than a betta fish or a guppy.)

Okay so my final suggestion would be...BRING THE BLACK MOORS BACK. I cant stress that enough. Then go ahead and use the 5 gal for some different fish. If the tank doesn't have a filter then GET ONE! Also a heater would work. (Small one) you also need to cycle your tank. Look up aquarium cycle on google. Its very necessary.

Many people go to the pet store to get that little goldfish to put into the small fish tank you got. Pet stores love this you know why? They sell the fish, it dies and they make profit when you go back and buy another, and another. Do research on your fish as well. You may not know that you need to cycle your tank like I said before, you need to cycle it for atleast two weeks before adding fish. This may be overwhelming but this is what your getting into with fishtanks.

20g is way too small. These guys have such a high bioload and they're size. They need ridiculously large tanks. :/

Yea they do in fact have a huge bio load, but he could get away with a 20 gal. Strong filter and water changes along with live plants would help.

Welcome to AA, Loulou!!!

Unfortunately, the advice that you have been offered may sound a bit insane right now but its truthful. A 5g tank has very limited stocking capacity and a goldfish of any breed really is not suitable to such a small tank due to their huge growth potential and massive bioload. Some of my moors are 12+inches to give you an idea.

Not the end of the world here but you do have to consider your options right now rather than later. If you return the moors, you can consider options for this tank and everyone will be happy to help you with this! If you do not wish to return them, then they need a bigger home now rather than later to ensure their health and well being.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? This should be the first place to start your adventure in fishkeeping as water quality and understanding cycling is vital to keeping a successful tank. I will post a link below with some more information- please feel free to ask any and all questions!! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

:'( Ok. I know about the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle the tank. I did that and they are both fine. The only LFS I have is Walmart. And their stuff is expensive for a 16 year old without a job and crappy for selection. I also only have room on my bathroom counter for a tank. I would have gotten a bigger tank, but I don't have the money and all of the 10 gallons were even more money. (The one I got was on sale.) And I don't think Walmart will take them back. And I don't want to give them back.

I've waited my whole life for my parents to let me get fish and now people are just telling me to upgrade without any money or return my fish. How rude. I thought I was doing good. :'(

My dad had similar goldfish when he was my age and they lived over 10 years in a smaller tank without a filter. I don't know why people are so rude about it now. I'm not making them suffer. :'(

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but my tank does have a filter that works great. The water is always crystal clear.

No one is being rude, Loulou, and I am very sorry that you feel this way. We are only offering advice to ensure your new fishkeeping adventure will be a successful and enjoyable one for both you and your fish.

Clear water does not indicate a healthy tank nor does it indicate a tank has a functioning nitrogen cycle. Just letting a tank run for a few days or even a few weeks or months will do nothing to start the cycling process without an ammonia source. Did you fishless cycle your tank with an ammonia source such as bottled ammonia? If not, you just started a fish-in cycle when the fish were added as they are now adding ammonia to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish and need to be controlled with constant water changes. In a small tank, these toxins will spike very quickly so testing frequently with a decent liquid test kit will be a must. The article I posted above for you offers further explanation of the process but if you need more help, please ask!

If getting another tank for these guys is not an option right now, perhaps you can consider getting them a Rubbermaid- type plastic storage bin? Walmart has their Christmas ones on sale very inexpensively right now. A 30-35g tote is only $6-7 and a 45g is only $14 and change. The 20g ones are under $5. These are affordable options for someone in need of a quick tank setup. Just an option to consider! Craigslist is another place to find affordable (and sometimes even free) tanks as well.

I will post some more information for you to read and view below- the second one covers diet and care for fancies as well as information on the in general. Feel free to ask any questions as we want your fishkeeping adventure to be a positive one! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I'm sorry you feel that people are being rude - they really are just trying to be helpful to you.

I started off the same way as you - too many goldfish in a tank that was far too small. It is an easy mistake to make as the fish shops tend to give very bad advice. I continue to be shocked at the advice I get given!

I think the suggestion to get a large plastic box is an excellent one. You might even be able to find a friend or parents of friends that can lend you a larger tank while you save up for your own?

Please hang in there - it is very rewarding to see healthy, happy goldfish :) Black Moors are such cute fish, too - I wish I had room for some :)

Thanks Roz!

I'm just shocked. My dad helped me with a bunch of my decisions and he told me that he had fancy goldfish in a smaller tank than mine without a filter or anything fancy and they lived for over 8-9 years. He never used any water tests or conditioners or anything. I just wanted to try to do it like him because he was so successful.

Even IF the goldfish would somehow survive in the 5 gal. It would be unhappy, stressed and deformed. It wouldn't be able to grow properly and would die. Again, what if someone put you in a cardboard box and told you not to come out? If you where cramped in there wouldn't you want to come out?

Sorry to hear this, sorry to hear you think people are being rude( in reality they are just trying to help, trust me)
I started like you, a beautiful black moor, in a 10 gallon, broke my heart to find this out almost a year ago too, but gave it away, sorry to hear this
I think the plastic tub idea is an excellent one, if you want those two to grow well an LFS be happy, I would get a 40 gallon tub, the general rule for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each one, I know that's 30 gallons, but I think they will be much happier in a 40 gallon
I know how you feel, I'm 15, and I get paid minimum wage, and with 20+ reptiles, that money goes by fast
Hey, you know what you can do with the 5 gallon, a betta tank!
I have a betta, shrimp, and an ADF in mine, it's great, you can do that with yours if you wish
Hope this helps

Sorry to hear this, sorry to hear you think people are being rude( in reality they are just trying to help, trust me)
I started like you, a beautiful black moor, in a 10 gallon, broke my heart to find this out almost a year ago too, but gave it away, sorry to hear this
I think the plastic tub idea is an excellent one, if you want those two to grow well an LFS be happy, I would get a 40 gallon tub, the general rule for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for each one, I know that's 30 gallons, but I think they will be much happier in a 40 gallon
I know how you feel, I'm 15, and I get paid minimum wage, and with 20+ reptiles, that money goes by fast
Hey, you know what you can do with the 5 gallon, a betta tank!
I have a betta, shrimp, and an ADF in mine, it's great, you can do that with yours if you wish
Hope this helps

Wow interesting. I'm 16 with a minimum wage job and I'm getting into reptiles atm! What kind do you have? I have a leopard gecko!

Anyways happy fish keeping !

Wow interesting. I'm 16 with a minimum wage job and I'm getting into reptiles atm! What kind do you have? I have a leopard gecko!

Anyways happy fish keeping !

Hah man for me to list them, these are the ones I saw while walking out
Veiled chameleon, horned chameleon, leopard gecko, bearded dragon, sulcata tortoises, box turtles, anoles, uromastyx

Can I just wait a bit until they get a bit bigger? Even if I had the money, my parents wouldn't let me get another tank. Maybe if they get big enough I could ask for a tank for my birthday or Christmas?

Right now they are only about an inch and a half in length. (Not including the tails)

March, maybe, you might make it in time, you need to perform triweekly water changes in order to help until march

Back
Top Bottom