new black moor tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i just got a new 55 gallon tank for my black moor i was wondering what type of plants i can put in there for her without needing a co2 system or fancy lights

Anubias usually works well, as does java fern. I would stay away from anything easily torn like mosses or hornwort.

If hornwort is healthy then it is pretty tough (my goldfish never bothered with it). But when it is not doing well, it will shed needles like a dried out Christmas tree.

Oh i see ill probably sticm with the java and anubis is there any special care for them?
Not to dissuade you from the hornwort, just something to think about. I say give it a try. Regarding the java fern and anubias, just tie them to hardscapes such as driftwood or rocks (don't plant in the gravel). They are low light tolerant and should be okay without additional care.

You can plant them in the substrate you just have to make sure not to bury the green rhizome that the leaves are coming out of. But most people myself included just tie them to driftwood or rocks. I like to use my daughters' hair band elastics. Mainly because you can get them in a color to match the wood.
Anubia are very slow grow but can grow practically in the dark. Java ferns can look messy but that is usually when they are putting off plantlets which they do off of their leaves. Windelov or lace java ferns grow them right from the tips and the narrow leaf throws off babies from all over the leaves. It's a bit odd to see roots coming off the middle of the leaf! Apparently they don't taste to good because they rarely get eaten! You can also do crypts in low lights. The only thing they will need is a root tab every couple of months placed near their roots.

What about moss balls? And do you know how many plants i can put without needing co2 im trying to go for a natural look

Moss balls can get torn up from what I've heard. As long as you have low light plants, you won't need CO2

I highly, highly recommend anacharis, I had it with my goldfish, got them like 8 inches, and in 2 months, they reached the top of my 55 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom