New fancy goldfish swollen on one side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! New to the forum :) Well I'll try to explain the most recent issue as briefly as possible:

It's been a rough week in our aquarium household, and we have been experiencing many confusing problems lately. Backstory, we had two easy goldfish (one sarasa comet, one common) in a tiny bowl for 5 months (they had first child syndrome with my boyfriend and I as we are relatively new goldfish parents). They fared just fine together harmoniously and healthily, until last week one of them randomly fell ill and died. (It was a very devastating loss in our household :( ) We bought and prepped a 20-something liter tank (sadly our fish had passed away a few hours before we were meant to transfer them into their new home) and put the surviving goldfish in it, and a few days later bought him a new goldfish companion--she is a small calico some kind of fancy breed. Everything was going well, they were getting along and seemed healthy etc. They have been in there together for 4 days now. Tonight I got home from work and noticed the new one all of a sudden bloated since this morning--her belly expanded a fair bit, noticeably on the left side, but not horrifyingly so. Also, now the original fish is chasing the new one around the tank, pushing his nose against her tail/underbelly and pushing her around. My boyfriend said today he fed them WAY too much food (just switched them over from flakes to pellets and he basically poured half the bag in) by accident and thinks that may be why her belly bloated all of a sudden, but I thought it strange that overeating could expand it so noticeably that quickly? Both of these things just occurred today while I was at work, and it's strange since the past few days they seemed to be adjusting with each other quite well. I do notice that all the leftover pellets are stuck in the aquarium plants and they keep digging into them, probably scavenging.

My two concerns: 1. Is my new one ill or just has she over eaten? And 2. Is my other one all of a sudden being a bully because he's being greedy with the leftover food excess? Should I try to (no pun intended) fish the leftover pellets out and fast them for a few days? Sorry for the novel explanation, we're just very emotionally dedicated to our pets and I want to make sure we don't have any more losses!

Back
Top Bottom