New goldfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayogee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a small red white ryukin and I want it to grow big. I have a 50 gallon tank and it doesn't usually eat as fast like my other goldfish that I've had in the past all it really does is wait til I leave and eats the granules off the bottom. It just doesn't really seem that interested and eats off the bottom so idk if that's a problem. Also I want to name it but I don't know if it's male or female so if any of y'all know how to determine sex of goldfish that would help thanks.
Pics below ->
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405715544.986386.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405715572.775540.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405715600.840238.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405715624.659788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought a small red white ryukin and I want it to grow big. I have a 50 gallon tank and it doesn't usually eat as fast like my other goldfish that I've had in the past all it really does is wait til I leave and eats the granules off the bottom. It just doesn't really seem that interested and eats off the bottom so idk if that's a problem. Also I want to name it but I don't know if it's male or female so if any of y'all know how to determine sex of goldfish that would help thanks.
Pics below ->
View attachment 243601View attachment 243602View attachment 243603View attachment 243604

Hi there,

I would give "him" a chance to settle in before you get worried about eating. I find my new goldfish generally take 2 weeks to settle in and start eating with goldfish gusto.

As to whether your fish is a girl or boy - I think it is v tricky before they mature. Once mature, the boys will develop white spots on their gill plates. You could always give your fish a unisex type name.

I have already had to rename one of my fish - Mr Stripes ended up losing his stripe and being a girl! She is now called Mrs Peabody, which my niece picked and I think is very apt :)

Thanks so much for the info hopefully he starts chowing down and I think I'll just name him Buki

Clip red leaf lettuce to the tank. It will give him a chance to eat and it is very close to his natural diet.

My fish LOVE it and it doesn't take them long to figure out it is yummy.

A good way to check (but not 100%) is if the pelvic area (right behind the pelvic fins, normally called a cloaca or vent) flat, curved in, or bulging out. If it is bulged out it is most likely female. If it is flat or curved in, it is most likely male.

Best of luck with Buki! - Raymond

A good way to check (but not 100%) is if the pelvic area (right behind the pelvic fins, normally called a cloaca or vent) flat, curved in, or bulging out. If it is bulged out it is most likely female. If it is flat or curved in, it is most likely male.

Best of luck with Buki! - Raymond

But make sure you feed him before you do that....

Cause you know, you should always buy dinner before you become intimate.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha the goldfish is like "atleast buy me dinner first jerk..."

You have a very nice ryukin btw. :)

But make sure you feed him before you do that....

Cause you know, you should always buy dinner before you become intimate.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Uh, I think I stumbled onto the wrong thread. I'm leaving. Carry on.

There is a ton of info on feeding Fancies on this site. Frozen/thawed/shelled Green Peas at least weekly.

No floating food EVER. Fancies gulp too much air eating at the top.

Sinking Goldfish food or presoaked flakes.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a ton of info on feeding Fancies on this site. Frozen/thawed/shelled Green Peas at least weekly.

No floating food EVER. Fancies gulp too much air eating at the top.

Sinking Goldfish food or presoaked flakes.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi i feed my two fanices mixed food pellets, shrimp, bloodworms live dafia and veggies. Brocoli, asparagus, peas and cucumber. But my black moor recently keeps sucking at the surface he only does this a little bit then goes swimming then comes to the surface again. They are in a 42 gallon tank have a 350 external canister filter a long tube which breaks water surface and a long airstone bubble pump too i do 50% weekly water changes and sometimes a 15litre one mid week. There water is crystal clear. Both active and in good health. I am just worried this habit my black moor has will affect his swimbladder long term. i do feed flakes which i do occasionally i push them under the surface so they sink.

Back
Top Bottom