New Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin8

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want another aquarium and I would like to get a pair of oranda goldfish. What size would comfortably fit them?

Are you looking at purchasing older fish or juveniles? Orandas have a very large growth potential. My suggestion would be a 40g for two with hefty filtration. Please ask if you have questions!

The ones I am interested in are about medium size. If I got a 55 gallon, what would be good tank mates?

You could put a baby pleco in there and then trade him in or sell it when it gets bigger. (Its what I did.) Well you have a heater or no?

I have another tropical tank with an albino longfin in there so once he gets bigger he can just go to the "big house"!

I'd say a 55 would be perfect. That gives the Goldies plenty of room to grow.
You could easily fit a bristlenose pleco in there, probably even two, and wouldn't have to rehome them since they stay pretty small, a 55 is actually a perfect size for them. Plus there are a ton of color varieties for you to choose from!

Filtration will need to be the biggest you can get, preferrably something that will cycle 4x the tank volume in an hour. Two filters is even better.
220gph+ is what you should look for, and adjustable flow rates would be even better so that you can turn it down if the goldfish get pushed around by it a bit too much.

I would suggest heftier filtration than 220gph. General suggestion for goldfish tanks are 10x the tank size but more is definitely better. They are quite efficient ammonia producers.

I don't recommend purchasing fish as 'janitors'. That's our job. Nothing eats fish waste and goldfish never waste food- they scavenge 24/7.

30 gallons would be fine for 2 oranda. Your 55 will work very well. I have 3 fancies in 55 gallons. I run about 600 gph of filtration from two HOB filters and do 50 percent water changes each week. I alternate 3 meals. Frozen bloodworms one day, shelled fresh green peas the next, shrimp pellets the next. I have a very happy tank.

Back
Top Bottom