New Home For My Gas Bubble Disease Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bubbles is getting out of quarantine. It could take months or years for her eyes to go down (hoping they don't pop). Her sight is slightly impaired and she could never compete for food with the large fish in the 120 gallon. I am putting my little one eyed Lionhead in with her to keep her company and help him grow bigger. He is a little slow on the trigger at feeding time.

My daughter was given this setup a few years ago by a friend. It is a 2' wide, deep 30 gallon. The hood has the light and the filter. It is on a very pretty wrought iron stand. I will leave it bare bottomed to make it easy for them to find food. Maybe Midge will help Bubbles learn to like fresh veggies and fruit. Right now Bubbles will only eat her Jump Start and a spirulina pellet.

My fish health girls.....I need to know if I should continue to salt Bubbles, and if so at what ratio (teaspoons/tablespoons per gallon please, until I get a scale). She is currently in a .3% solution and has been for a few weeks. I do believe that it is helping her health and would protect her eyes from infection if one pops.

I put up pictures for you. There is a side view where the eye looks totally normal and there is one from directly overhead where you can see her bilateral corneal bubbles very well. You will see one picture of her finnage. On the lower left you will see a thin line of horizontal hemorrhages where bubbles have popped. I have never seen gas bubbles anywhere besides her eyes and fins and there really aren't that many on her fins. There are just a few single small hemorrhages on her other fin as well. I know it is a little hazy, but you will see the pinkish horizontal line if you look closely. A few days ago, I gently lifted her and dabbed hydrogen peroxide on each one and the edges of the fins as well. I did not rub so as not to disturb her slime coat too much.

Here are pictures of my little one eyed Midge compared to his much bigger sibling. They were the same size when I brought them home. Darn Pleco! He is the one to be Bubble's room mate.

Attachments

• 3-15-14 (2).jpg
    3-15-14 (2).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 3-15-14 (23).jpg
    3-15-14 (23).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 3-15-14 (4).jpg
    3-15-14 (4).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 3-15-14 (3).jpg
    3-15-14 (3).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 89
Isn't she a gorgeous girl. She has fins that flow like clouds.

Here are pictures of my little one eyed Lionhead Oranda, Midge, compared to his much bigger sibling. They were the same size when I brought them home. Darn Pleco! He is the one to be Bubble's room mate.

Attachments

• 3-15-14 (29).jpg
    3-15-14 (29).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 3-15-14 (46).jpg
    3-15-14 (46).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 3-15-14 (33).jpg
    3-15-14 (33).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom