new house neglected pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greaver83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok my sister just moved into a new house with a very large koi pond i would say 25x25ft with a water fall the waterfall is not functioning the water is about 1.5-2ft deep maybe 3 ft in the middle and it is full of aquatic plants that look similar to anarchis like you would find in an aquarium it is also slammed full of koi where should i start to get this pond back to where it should be i will take pics next time i am over the house say vaccant for almost a year and the life in the pond is still thriving

I do not have koi, but I do have two small outdoor ponds and 14 shubunkins. When I need pond advice, I go to a different website, and I would like to give you the name of that website...I think you would find it very helpful. But I am not sure if directing you to this other website is acceptable.

If a moderator reads this post, and gives the ok, I will come back and "name names".

In the meantime, is there a pond or koi club in your area? Having someone truly experienced (and local) who could come and look at the setup would be highly wise. He/she could tell you what is going on with the filtration system and the waterfall, and direct you to local resources.

I reccomond the following 4 things

1. Oase pond pump with a second attachment because the pond is so big.
2. A good uv clarifier I reccomond the tmc pro clear advantage uv 55.
3 a good filter that's big enough for the pond something like a hozelock cyprio or hozelock ecocel.
4. An air pump like the blagdon koi air 2.

This setup is the same as what I have on my pond and it's crystal clear. The pump should lead to the uv clarifier then to the filter and lastly to the waterfall, I have my filter hidden behind the waterfall to make things easier.

Good luck.

Oh, of course! I can be such a space cadet sometimes! AND I just PM'ed a moderator to ask permission to "name names"...:facepalm:

I need some sleep...

Very surprising that life is still thriving without filtration or aeration for a year!? Hard to believe. Considering all koi do is eat and poop.
Well first things first, test the parameters to see where your starting point is.

I'd say shop around for deals but it sounds like you need equipment now!

I won't say any brand names, since there is a ton out there, so I'll tell you the basics of any pond.
(I've been selling koi for 5 years now)

Get a pump, put it on the furthest and lowest point away from the waterfall.
Pump leads into the biofilter
Biofilter leads to UV Sterilizer (Get a sterilizer, not clarifier)
UV leads to particle filter (Collects all the little specs of leaves and dirt)
Filter to the waterfall

Make sure the waterfall creates a lot of aeration (Position to get as many bubbles as you can, the more spread out and deeper they go, the better)

If the waterfall is insufficient for this, you may need another smaller pump just for a fountain spout..

You can put the biofilter and particle filter together after the sterilizer if that is easier for you, it won't do much difference. I can explain why I put my biofilter before if you want..

I strongly suggest you find out what the pond size is in gallons so you don't fall short on equipment, or pay too much.

Can't go wrong with too much, only your wallet will feel the pain.
Too little could be disastrous..

Since the pond has been left alone for such time, the fish have become pretty accustomed to the water conditions..
I wouldn't hook up all the filters at once because of this.
Most important is just to get the pump hooked up first.
I would place the filter media into the water for a week or 2 (in a sunny spot, but not into the moving water of the pump) just to get some beneficial bacteria growing on there.
Any is better than none.
Try and avoid a nasty nitrogen cycle as much as you can.

Last edited:
LOL i forgot all about this thread i went to her house last week flipped the breakers for the pond and everything came on then i put on my waders hopped in and cleaned out some of the horn wort that was taking over i think the pond is pretty much self sustaining because of its large size if i had to put a gallon amount on it i would say 1000 or more its 5 foot deep in the center and about 35 foot across and has a small creek running out of it into the woods might sound crazy but i think its a home made spring fed pond someone built a long time ago but i slipped the switch and the waterfall came on after about 30 minutes and it has a small fountion in the middle that kicked on shortly i hit the power im going to try to work on it some more this weekend its supose to be our last warm weekend her in nc but im being side tracked with my current saltwater build in progress

Back
Top Bottom