New pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGGGG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so today I dug a huge whole thinking I was going to just throw some. Lining in there and call it good. Wasn't the case and I find myself at menards buying a 100 gal preformed pond. I was wondering how many goldfish I could in there max, and if I could keep any smaller organisms like shrimp? Preferably ones that can breed in freshwater. Also I live in south Dakota USA and was wondering would I need to also bring my shrimp inside for the winter in addition to my goodies. The pond is also in the shade for basiacally the whole day so would I need a UV thing? Going along with the lighting what plant could i have? And in addition I was talking to someone and they said they had a skimmer was wondering why would you need one? Lastly I'm trying to get a small self sustaining thing going on so I was wondering if anyone had an idea on a smallish predator fish to keep my goldfish population from booming? Help would be amazing :)

no you won't be able to mix shrimp and goldfish. If you are going with comet goldfish, I'd go with maybe 3 or 4 max, but i'll defer to the goldfish people on that one.

The UV thing is up to you, my pond doesn't have anything on it other than a sponge filter and it stays fairly clear, I do have lots of floating plants in it though.

Back
Top Bottom