Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #11

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/displa...hp?brand=Helen

Read this book, it's the best one I know of for prospective pond builders.

Scott, as for your idea, I'm not into it much. Bottom fitlers are hard to acces for maintenence, and they quickly become clogged. Most folks have the filter out of the pond, at the top of the waterfall.

Ponds are great fun, very satisfying, but my advice is read all you can before you touch a shovel. Undoing mistakes with a pond is a bloody nightmare! Better to know what you are doing, and get it right the first time.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Just the advise I need. The filter would have been retrievable pretty easily just not explained in design. I would like to put a pre filter of some sort as to not foul my impeller. Thought as long as i'm prefiltering just make it the filter. I also thought of a filter at the top of the falls and some bioballs with some creative cement and rock work. So how about that biological would the rocks suffice if they were porous enough to have a lot of surface area.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
So how about that biological would the rocks suffice if they were porous enough to have a lot of surface area.
I think yes. My stream is about 11-12 feet long, I think it does a major amoutn of biofiltration, so much surface area on all the rocks for th bacteria to grow on.

Tags
new pond, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com