Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
new pond

I have never had a pond before, and i want to do this one right. I have an idea of using an already built planter box . Its deminsions are 83x48x12, and each side is made of two six inch peicesof wood. I want to dig it down a further 6 to 12 in. and put ling on it. What are your guys advice on the idea, filter, plants, substrate, sigh and all the rest that i need to no. TIA!

Old 09-21-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would make the pond at least 2-3 foot deep for starters, and make it as big as you think you will ever want it. I had that problem and ended up with 2 new ponds.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The problem with that is my ground is like solid rock around here.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you were already saying that you would do this, but I have heard of people building boxes above a whole they put in the ground and have a pond that is basically above ground. You would need to know that it was done by someone knowledgeable enough to make a box that could hold back all of that water.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the best type of filter for this setup, and any cool ideas for it?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

One word, waterfall.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The area i might put the pond is directly under an oak, any way to keep it from filling up with leves, or any ways to get them out?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can put netting over the pond to keep them out, or what I do is just skim constantly. Make sure you get leaves out quickly in the fall or your water turns to tea.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

how powerful of a pump do i need for my filter and my waterfall?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This sounds like a good thread to hijack! I have all the same questions as well.
My friend gave me what I think is a 300 gallon rubbermaid pond and a liner (roughly 4.5x3x3). I have a Rio 1400 to use or a 2100 (if its neccesary).
I have an idea for a filter on the bottom. I have a rubber maid box about the size of a shoe box. I want to drill the top full of holes run some pvc in it put poly fiber in it and attach it to the pump. I will coat it in silicone and roll it in river rock as well to hide it. run the pump up to a little rock structure and the water path will follow a little 2foot or so rapids down to the pond. Sound like a plan? Oddly enough I've never even seen a pond setup before so this is only thoeretical for me. Sound like a plan?
1. Will the waterfall act as biological filter if I run it down river rock a foot or two?
2. Should I throw some bioballs into the eqation somewhere.
3. Should I use the drain at the bottom to run my plumbing or is it better to just
run it up the side and try to hide it? (I know this ones an opinion question)

Tags
new pond, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com