New to goldfish. What do I need to know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
besided the size of the tank you will need a over sized filter or 2 would be better , gold fish produce a lot of waste
I feel a cycled tank with a 5-10times tank size gph canister filter will cut it such as a fluval 406^-^

many lfs sell common goldfish as feeders for large cichlids and cat fish
gold fish are just fancy carp and they have been known to go over 50 lb in lakes

I think 10 times would be the minimum thats what I use in my angel, loach tank and that is almost all biofilter with a large sponge prefilter( 1 gal size)

It just depends in where you look and the effort you put into it.

My efforts thus far being to invest several hours of my day (what I shall consider extensive) hasn't yielded a conclusive answer. It's nearly impossible to nail-down a firm consensus on how large Veil Tails will grow. The more resources I discover, the more varied the answer is getting. Wikipedia as an authority? Surely, you must be joking.

So naturally, I'm consulting a community of experts — such as this forum.

You're closing remark could be misconstrued as questioning the integrity of the person asking the question — as if to imply I haven't undertaken sufficient research. Was/is this your intent?

many lfs sell common goldfish as feeders for large cichlids and cat fish
gold fish are just fancy carp and they have been known to go over 50 lb in lakes

Thanks Micey. I understand that "regular goldfish" can grow to very large sizes; I was asking specifically about Veil Tails; who are not at all like their single-finned cousins.

You're closing remark could be misconstrued as questioning the integrity of the person asking the question — as if to imply I haven't undertaken sufficient research. Was/is this your intent?

I doubt anyone in this forum would attack a persons integrity to formulate a statement.

Thanks Micey. I understand that "regular goldfish" can grow to very large sizes; I was asking specifically about Veil Tails; who are not at all like their single-finned cousins.

General answer is thag fan tails will grow up to 12 inches in ideal conditions usually 10.

I doubt anyone in this forum would attack a persons integrity to formulate a statement.

I hope not, it was just worded in a way which suggested I haven't yet done my homework on the matter. I found that point-of-view to be a little abrasive. Perhaps it's nothing more than a poor choice of words.

My efforts thus far being to invest several hours of my day (what I shall consider extensive) hasn't yielded a conclusive answer. It's nearly impossible to nail-down a firm consensus on how large Veil Tails will grow. The more resources I discover, the more varied the answer is getting. Wikipedia as an authority? Surely, you must be joking.

So naturally, I'm consulting a community of experts — such as this forum.

Let's get a few things straight, it's text and it's only construed in the manner you make of it. That's the problem, as has been discussed on many threads here. Another thing, I haven't seen an "expert" bring up Wiki. Only you. I referenced LA, which is what quite a few use as basis around here and google.

I don't imply anything. I'm very black and white and get right to the point. If you follow any of the threads I've commented on, you would know that without question. If you have to ask if this is or was my intent, it probably should be in a pm. But for the sake of the community, NO, IT WASN'T.

I hope not, it was just worded in a way which suggested I haven't yet done my homework on the matter. I found that point-of-view to be a little abrasive. Perhaps it's nothing more than a poor choice of words.

It wasn't worded in any way, nor do I feel it was a poor choice of words. Again, it was what you interpreted because it's text. Perhaps I should've been clairvoyant to know that you would've felt chafed by your request to be "polite and gentle".

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Too, something to keep in mind that is ALWAS overlooked, is that goldfish are highly social fish that should be kept in a group.

I completely agree with this! After watching my goldfish for a year now, I can clearly see they are social and need to be with other goldfish. They sleep in a clump together (v cute!), and often explore together as well.

Please consider getting another goldfish of the same type (common or fancy).

Good luck, Roz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi you probably already have the answer fancy goldfish on average grow to 8-10inches it sounds like your two are probably about 6inches long (with tail) so minimum size tank they should live in is 40gallons, if you can go larger than that great but no less than 40gallons.

Kind Regards Emma

Although it is generally said that you need 20gallons for the first fancy then 10gallons after that but I think 20gallons per fancy is more practical

Hi you probably already have the answer fancy goldfish on average grow to 8-10inches it sounds like your two are probably about 6inches long (with tail) so minimum size tank they should live in is 40gallons, if you can go larger than that great but no less than 40gallons.

Kind Regards Emma

Actually, they're closer to 5 inches in length, nose to where their tail begins. I do want them in a larger tank, and I'd like to add another goldie or two —*specifically because (as Roz pointed-out) they are such social fish.

I'm aiming for a 75 gallon, and adding a Fluval 406. Unfortunately, that's a bit more budget than my current circumstances can afford. So for now, it's frequent WCs and a war waged against algae and higher-than-preferred nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom