The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello, I am so excited. I have been wanting to build a water garden/pond for a long time. I was given the tub part the other day, and when I went to get it, I was shocked how big it was. Now I can really start planning and hopefully building this year. I want to know how many gallons it will hold. It is about 8 ft by 5 1/2 ft. It is about 1 1/2 ft deep. I can't get exact measurements because of it's shape. I am attaching some photos. maybe someone can tell me how to get the gallons? I am pretty new to this forum and I am so glad I started posting when I did bc now I am really gonna need some help on this. We bought our house a few years ago, have done alot of concrete work but not alot of landscaping yet,(and there is none!). We were planning on getting started on that this spring.
so basically I have alot more research and planning to do.

any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 100_4366__large__201.jpg
    100_4366__large__201.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_4365__large__182.jpg
    100_4365__large__182.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_4369__large__146.jpg
    100_4369__large__146.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_4367__large__173.jpg
    100_4367__large__173.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 100
The only accurate way to get the number of gallons of a shape like that, that I know of is this:

1) Write down your water meter reading
2) With no other water being used, fill the pond.
3) When finished write the meter reading again.
4) Subtract the 2 to get the number of cubic feet
5) Multiply by 7.48 to find the number of gallons.

You'll want to remember that in case you ever need to medicate etc. Also, when you dig the hole, make sure it's level :wink:

I don't have much experience to offer as I'm a newbie too but I'll help where I can.

thanks for the info,
as for the level whole, that's probably the only thing I can be sure of as of right now. My hubby has a concrete company, real handy with the level. IF I can just get him to do it. lol

I found a preformed pond @ pondsolutions.com that looks just like mine. It has the same measurements (off by a couple of inches from what I measured, imagine that). It is called the huron pond and has a 250 gal. capacity. Now I can search pumps and all that goes with it. I have been trying to find some good pond sites for ideas, most of them so far are large ponds. any suggestions??

A great site for filters, one I have made purchases from is AZponds.com The best filter with low maintenance is an external pressurized cannister with a built in UV sterilizer. I use the Cyprio Bioforce with the Titan debri handling pump and have been very satisfied. The unit can be partially submerged in the ground. It easily comes apart so that the foam filter rings can be rinsed and put right back. For your 250 gallon pond I would use the Cyprio 1000 filter with UV and Titan 800 pump. They are sold together as the Ecoclear 1000. Everything you need in filtration for $175.00 Other sites webbsonline.com Yourpondstore.com Drsfosterandsmith.com

Back
Top Bottom