Newbie / General questions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandgroper84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found some Goldfish washed up from a storm water drain so I decided to try and save them. Unfortunately I've lost them all but one so I'm very green to all of this but very eager. I have a 57litre tank. I do a weekly 30% water change and vacuum the gravel. I have a decent size pump and there is still a tinge of murkiness in the water. Should I set the pump up to stream the water like a fountain? I'm not sure if that would make a difference but the pump fully submerged atm.

Any info or links on water treatment and general freshwater fish keeping for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hello and welcome to AA, Good on you for trying to rescue them, I hope the one survivor makes it :)
How long has your tank been up and running ? You may be having a bacteria bloom, I'm sure there will be other posts about bacteria blooms , it's one of those that you have to wait out ,
Have you any other fish ?

Hi and welcome. That tank is way too small for goldfish. One requires 30 gal minimum. And some types need ponds as they can grow very large. Also the tank isn't cycled and goldfish are producing a lot of ammonia; weekly water changes aren't enough. You need to test the water daily and do water changes. Here's a couple of good articles for you:
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I'm also going to move this to the goldifsh/coldwater forum, you should get more replies there.

Back
Top Bottom