Newer tank with fish who need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amlyel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I'm looking for any help I can get at this point. I bought a 46g bow front tank from someone and set it up on April 7th. I used Quick Start to get the tank going. I have a Rena XP2 filter (and as of yesterday added a power head). I added 6 Golden White Clouds as was suggested to me a few days later. I then brought home my 2 Black Moor goldfish from work. (Both over a year old.) I've been doing reseach since I brought them home. Mistake #1 I brought them home too soon. Not even a full week the tank was up and running here. I have 3 potted plants and added 7 Scissortails. Mistake #2 adding fish before knowing anything! I have the temp set at 73 to keep a middle ground. After a while my bigger Black Moor (Mr. Peepers) began to sit often at the bottom and then his dorsal fin started sagging and he began swimming eratically. I got a proper testing kit and found the ammonia to be at .25ppm so I got ammo-lock and removed the carbon I was told to put in the filter. I replaced that with Diamond Blend ammonia neutralizing blend. I want to remove that as well because I want a properly cycled tank. I also added Stress Zyme. Mr. Peepers responded well to these changes and I planned on starting water changes to get the ammonia down. Then I got a stomach virus which is really beside the point other than I couldn't do anything let alone a water change. So on Thursday I came home with plans of a Friday water change and found Mr. Peeper to have Pop Eye on one side. Both Moors also have a little spot of fungus on their tails (white fuzzy). I haven't done any treatments but I have melafix here. I changed about 40% of the water that day and used stress coat to treat new water. I then tested the water the next day (friday) and couldn't believe the Ammonia had spiked to 4.0. I then did another 20% water change. I tested the water today and will post my current levels. Mr. Peepers and Diesel are acting pretty normal. (the two black moors) My other fish seem to be doing fine and everyone is eating normal. I feed a variety of flake, frozen brine, frozen blood worms and peas. I am careful with feeding but it's been a process getting used to more fish. Mr. Peepers also sits at the bottom at night when I turn the lights off. He does it off and on and is always up in the morning. Sorry for the novel but I figured the more info the better. I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you! :facepalm:

My parameters are
8.0 PH (This went up from a steady 7.5)
4.0 Ammonia (This went up after the water changes)
0 Nitrite
10-20 Nitrate (The color seems inbetween these and they seem so close)

You are in the middle of a fish in cycle. You will need to do lots of water changes to keep the ammonia down to .5PPM or lower. I would recommend getting some Seachem Prime water conditioner. It will help detoxify some of the ammonia. You should start seeing nitrites in a week or so. You will need to do water changes to keep them at a low level also. Test you water for ammonia often so you know where the levels are. The same when nitrites appear. Once ammonia, and nitrites are no longer present, then the nitrAtes should be up slightly. Do regular water changes to keep them below 20PPM. Don't add any more livestock to the tank until it's cycled.

Mr. Peepers poor eye.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for the Seachem Prime and get that. That would be replacing API Stress coat as water conditioner? Just want to make sure. Also I'm all good with having to do lots of water changes, I plan on doing another today. Is 20% ok and should that be daily or every couple of days? My last one was Friday.
As far as Mr. Peeper's goes any ideas about his pop eye? I've read that clean water can be just as good as medication, but is there a certain point where I should be worried if it isn't getting back to normal?

Should I be in the unhealthy fish forum for that? Sorry I'm trying to figure all this out still! Thank you!

Yes, the Prime will replace the Stresscoat. At this point you need to do enough, and large enough water changes to keep the ammonia level down. Whatever it takes. Test your ammonia level after the water change, to see where it is. You need it at .5 or below. Pop Eye normally is caused by a bacterial infection behind the eye. It creates pressure which causes the eye to bulge. Pristine water conditions can help immensely. Fish have the ability to fight of lots of anomalies if kept in good water conditions. You can post in the sick fish forum for any disease related issues. No problem on the posting, you'll get it sorted out in time(y)

Water Changes

Ok I've gotten the Prime and changed about 40% of the water again. I'm curious about how long I should wait after I change the water to test the parameters? So daily changes are in order until I can get the ammonia down to .50 or less and then maybe every 3 days or should I continue daily until the tank gets cycled properly? I'm just worried about stressing Mr. Peepers more with his poor eye. I don't mind doing whatever I need to, I'm very attached to my little Moor's and I'd hate to lose either of them after finally getting them a proper home. Thank you for your help!

Ok I've gotten the Prime and changed about 40% of the water again. I'm curious about how long I should wait after I change the water to test the parameters? So daily changes are in order until I can get the ammonia down to .50 or less and then maybe every 3 days or should I continue daily until the tank gets cycled properly? I'm just worried about stressing Mr. Peepers more with his poor eye. I don't mind doing whatever I need to, I'm very attached to my little Moor's and I'd hate to lose either of them after finally getting them a proper home. Thank you for your help!

Hi Amlyel!

When I did a fish in cycle with two fancies in a 37g I had to do daily water changes of 50%-60% to keep the ammonia and nitrites below .5. It was a lot of work as I was still hauling buckets for pwc back then. My two were just barely 2" each at the time too. You will probably find that you will have to keep up the daily pwc until the tank is cycled.

Both goldfish and white clouds are cold water so you can lower the temp if you want.

I just tested the ammonia again and it's now at 2.0 which is better than 4.0 but still sooo bad. Daily changes seem to be on the menu for a while. The Prime says it's best to treat the water before I put it in the tank so I'm still hauling buckets just to try to get the best results. I also took the nutralizing carbon out of the filter and added another pad in it's place. While I'm trying to get the tank cycled should I be cleaning the filter or rinsing lightly or should I just leave it alone for now?

The only reason I have the temp at 73 is because I have the Scissortails in the tank as well. I'm enjoying them but I wish I could go back and not purchase them. Not great timing and no research which won't ever happen again. Live and learn! Should I consider giving those guys to a pet store? Everything I read says Goldies shouldn't be in community tanks and that seems to be what I've done.

Thanks!

You need to do another 50% water change to get the ammonia down. 2PPM is TOO high. Once you get it down to .5 Then you can monitor it, and do them accordingly to keep it low. Like previously posted by Shanny, you will need to keep the nItrites down also, once they start appearing. . You could rehome the Scissortails, and just keep the cooler water fish. Then you can lower the temp down to around 70. Cooler water holds more oxygen. It will be a lot of work, but you will have a healthy tank in the end!!

Wow, that's some work! Alright water change #2 under way. Will the test read the ammonia pretty quickly after I do the water change? Anything for my babies!

I do have a python but I'm using it to fill the bucket as I put the Prime in. I took out about 60% this time. Hopefully this will help out! I'll post the new number after!

So now its down to 1ppm. Should I do one more tonight to try to get it to .50?

Well I did one more change of about 50% and it's now between .50 and 1ppm so that will have to be it for tonight. I'll test tomorrow when I get home and do another change then. Thanks for all the insight! I can't lie, I'm a little tired! :)

Thanks again. Of everything I've read I wouldn't have know to do multiple changes in one day, and I've read a lot recently so I'm glad I signed up and asked! And man my water looks beautiful right now! :)

Many thank you's are in order! I got home and checked my levels and they are doing well!
8.0 PH
0 Ammonia (maybe just a hare over)
0 Nitrites
20 Nitrates

So I'm happy for now, also the fungus is clearing up a little bit. Mr. Peepers pop eye still looks the same, but he hasn't had much time in decent water. I will keep checking the levels daily to monitor. If anything changes I'll do a pwc right away. You guys helped me out! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom