Non-Pond Ryukin Goldie on Bottom of Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revchristinejday

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dear A/A:
Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank):0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank):20; was 40 before water change on Friday
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.5
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
    • * Water temperature? 73 F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons for 4 years
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 Aqua Clear 50; 2 Aqua Clear 110's; 1 Cascade 1000 I rinse the media in the A/C's every 3 weeks and rinse the Cascade media in tank water once a month
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, just did. Have been changing about 50% to keep nitrates low
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday; 50 %
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 (2 others and 6 goldies): Body size not fins; 2 1/2" siamese algae eater--he doesn't; Wycliffe 3" calico ryukin at least 4 years old*; Moondancer 5 1/2 ryukin; Thomas More 4" black moor; Ann Bolynn 2 1/2" orange and white oranda; Lattimer 2" oranda; Wolsley 1" calico ryukin; and Hank 2" Parrot fish. *Wycliffe now in 10 gallon hospital tank
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 x a day New Life Spectrum Goldfish formula, sinking pellets; usually fast once a week
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? 1Wolsey the small ryukin 5 days ago
    • * Any medications added to the tank? No, at this time just in the hospital tank which has had Prime added and 2 T of dissolved aquarium salt
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I had an mystery death of a 5 year old--6"--red cap oranda about a month ago. He was fine at night feeding, swimming nothing appeared to be wrong and in the morning he was dead--not even pineconing, etc. So I checked the H2O, (0;0; 80) then did back to back water changes to reduce the Nitrate to 80. Then since I had some medi-gold I fed everybody medi-gold for 2 weeks. That exhuasted my medi-gold supply. So everyone has been back on NLS for 2 weeks. Wycliffe has had what I think has been a tumor on his left side a little above his anal fin for about 3 years. It's about the size of a large thumb nail and protrude about 3/8-1/2" above body. When it first started it looked streaked with blood,so I put him in hospital tank and treated him sulfa and tetracycline. It stopped being streaky he came back into the 125 gallon. However since the tumor or growth developed he has been floating on his back but able to eat and swim.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?Wycliffe has had what I think has been a "tumor" on his left side a little above his anal fin for about 3 years. It's about the size of a large thumb nail and protrude about 3/8-1/2" above body. When it first 3 years ago started it looked streaked with blood,so I put him in hospital tank for a while. It stopped being streaky he came back into the 125 gallon. However since the tumor or growth developed he has been floating on his back but able to eat and swim upside down.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's now resting on the bottom, "swims upside down" along the bottom about every hour, gets stuck in the corner. He's eaten a few pellets and seems interested in more. His poop is still the color of the food but has gotten much thinner in diameter. He is not "gasping", it's hard to tell if his fins are clamped as he's upside down...
  • So these questions have mostly told you everything. Wycliffe was fine Thursday, swimming upside down, eating voraciously, and rooting in the gravel. Friday he was at the bottom and unable to get up higher. Now in the hospital tank he's a bit more active, about once an hour swims in an upside down circle. Has eaten and poop looks normal.
    img_3000917_0_4ff5f5d99b814d889c2273b13a06b7b1.jpg
    [/IMG] Any help you can given would be most appreciated. He's a sweetie. Here's a photo.
  • Thanks,
  • Chris
    img_3000917_1_318e7016119fcc9d484913aad5ec7fd6.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Hi! I am sorry to hear your having some issues here. Unfortunately, your picture did not post (I am curious to see what is going on with the tumor) but it may be the fault of my computer?

Just so I am clear, Wycliffe is your 4yr old ryukin? Has he had some buoyancy issues for awhile now as in months or even years? Is he normally active and eating despite the buoyancy issues? Aside from the tumor, does he have any signs to indicate there may be an infection present (veining in the fins/tail, any odd sores, signs of hemorrhages, anything odd)? Weight loss in a fancy is a concerning symptom- do you feel that it may be related to his inability to eat adequate food or do you feel its indicative of something else? I am trying to get feel for the best suggestions to make in tough situation that appears to not have a very definitive cause.

Back
Top Bottom