Oranda constantly yawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbcrash

Aquarium Advice Activist
All my orange oranda does is yawn constantly. I checked his gills. They are red with white stripes in between. Almost like a striped shirt. Red white red white. I pulled off a Brown worm that I saw on his wen. Not sure what to do. I am moving this week. I bought some aqua prazi. Haven't used it yet. He is the only fish out of 4 In the tank that constantly yawns. I mean wide open mouth yawning really fast. I hope it's not worms in his wen. He also has white patches on his wen. I'm worried about him. He's all I think about. Can someone please help him?

image-643112169.jpg

Ammonia .25 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 high range ph 7.4. Ammonia is always .25.

I hope you get this figured out -- he is a stunning, gorgeous Oranda!

I have been having some issues with my fancies "yawning" as well, but they don't seem to do it in "distress" of any kind; more like they're, as I have been told, "cleaning out" their gill rakers or simply "taking in" the rich oxygen supply of my tank...

Thank you. He is my buddy. I've had him for years. I hope I do too. He may have a parasite in his wen. I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do

I know EXACTLY how you feel...honest...

I am now having a problem with one of MY beloved fancies, a Black Moor...you can see the thread I started right below yours...:nono::(

Thank you. He is my buddy. I've had him for years. I hope I do too. He may have a parasite in his wen. I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do

Oh -- and in your particular case, this may indeed just be a wen growth...I have seen that happen where the head of the Oranda is affected by some weird looking growth and it just disappears and the fish begins to grow/develop...:blink:

Thanks. That sucks man. I read your post. Any photos of ur black Moore. I have 3 of em.

That's what i thought it was. He's just a pain lol. Orandas are hard to please. Lol. I treat him with maracyn and maracyn 2. Just wish i could fix him. I can't cut his wen to find out what's inside it. It could be a parasite irritating him which is making him go crazy

Thanks. That sucks man. I read your post. Any photos of ur black Moore. I have 3 of em.

I will try and get photos up; right now, I am going to attempt yet another 50% water change and try to do some deep gravel vacuuming incase this came from some kind of bacteria beneath the substrate...:banghead:

That's what i thought it was. He's just a pain lol. Orandas are hard to please. Lol. I treat him with maracyn and maracyn 2. Just wish i could fix him. I can't cut his wen to find out what's inside it. It could be a parasite irritating him which is making him go crazy

I've used Maracyn and Maracyn II but lost the two fancies I was trying to save which exhibited open, red wounds/sores; I have come to the conclusion that most medicines don't really help and need to be syphoned out of the tank anyway, and that the best thing you could probably do is big water changes...

Mate orandas seriously they are soooo hard to keep when the fall ill. It does sound like worms jf youve picked it out.. There needs to be NO amonia whatsoever with GOOD water co ditioner. 2nd thing to do is ring your lfs and check if they can check fish gills under a microscope.. Take himt o one of these theyl clip his gill and be able to tell you exactly whats wrong. Give you treatment.. Whatever you do treat it in a quarintine tank.. And for now get airstone and blast that.. It will help oxygenate the water more make it more easier to breath. What ever you do try not to stress it as much..

Can you post a pic of these 'worms'? When a goldies wen grows, they will develop white 'pimples' or spots. White strings may pop out of the spots but soon disappear only to reappear again on and off as the wen grows. Normal! If its something else, the specific worm needs to be ID'd in order to figure out the correct treatment.

The yawning is an issue though. Goldfish should not 'yawn'. Ever. Yawning is an indication of irritation in the gills. The same way we cough to clear something in our throat. The most common cause is a parasite issue such as gill flukes or ich (when all water quality issues have been addressed). Gill flukes affect pretty much every goldfish that comes from a commercial source. Treatment consists of praziquantel dosed at 5mg/l for a minimum of 4 weeks or it can be cycled. Whether one method works better than the other is debatable but all fish/tanks need to be treated. Prazi will not treat most worms.

Very interesting; my Black Moor who was exhibiting these "pimple" symptoms, pretty horrifically last night, seemed to have also had this "white worm" thing coming out of the large cyst/tumor bump -- however, we woke up this morning to find her doing fine and the "pimple" way down in size and almost gone...all I did was a 10% water change and gravel vac yesterday (with a 50% change the day before)...

But here's the thing: I don't believe Moors have wen, do they? And even so, this "bump" was on the lower part of her body, near the propulsion fins...not on the head...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom