Oranda has more colour as its got bigger is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Oranda has more black patches than it use to have, him and my black moor who live together have grown bigger. Is this normal for them to develop new colours as they get bigger, they are small patches like his larger colourings. NOT grains/or salt like. He is in good health eating and swimming well. I was just wondering this is normal as there are new small patches over his body.

They are in a tank that has a stronger light in it and I did hear sometimes this can cause black pigment

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more information? Parameters including ph? Water change schedule? Diet? Is this a new fish?

Goldfish can undergo a variety of color changes as they mature. Most typically though, It's a regression of color rather than development. Blacks may turn orange or white. Reds, oranges, purples, chocolates may turn white. While increased light intensity can help maintain darker colors, this generally only applies to natural sunlight. Can you possibly post a pic of your fish?

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more information? Parameters including ph? Water change schedule? Diet? Is this a new fish?

Goldfish can undergo a variety of color changes as they mature. Most typically though, It's a regression of color rather than development. Blacks may turn orange or white. Reds, oranges, purples, chocolates may turn white. While increased light intensity can help maintain darker colors, this generally only applies to natural sunlight. Can you possibly post a pic of your fish?

I dont seem to beable to post a pic!, I change water 30-40 percent every 6-7 days. They eat mostly flakes, premium goldfish pellets, i like to mix it up. With bloodworms and brimeshrimp once a week. Peas, broccolli, cucumber and mushrooms or a type of veg weekly. i am trying out different stuff see what they like best. I feed once a day in the morning a pinch. My Goldfish sometimes do eat the Hongkongs pleco algae pellets as they are greedy. i give a pinch of flake food and push it below surface as they like to bottomfeed. Water parameters are good. I have had both Oranda and Black Moor since dec 2013. No ill health signs active swimming and happy is seems. They are in a bigger tank 40 gallons and the filter is at 200max perhr i do plan to get a smaller one to aid this soon. The black patches look like his other natural patterning but they are just new.

My black Moor has always been black and still is dark black but he has more goldy silver under his belly as his got bigger is this normal too?

Do you test your water? I am curious what your tank numbers read (including ph). Your tap numbers would be helpful as well.

As you have not had these guys very long, did you cycle your tank fishless with an ammonia source or has this been a fish-in cycle? My suspicion is there may be something amiss in your tank presently or it has been cycled fish-in with insufficient water changes. Some more information will help!

In respect to the black moor, a tummy turning 'gold' is pretty normal. Black pigment is not static in goldfish unless specifically bred and moors will undergo a gradual process of demelanization. Melanin is the black pigmentation-as gold fish age, melanin is lost starting with the tummy and gradually working upwards until the fish is entirely orange. The orange may eventually recede as well to white. This process is gradual and can take months to years. Sudden loss of melanin (such as overnight or over a few days) indicates a very serious problem.

I hope this information is helpful! Please let us know more in respect to your tank and water and the black areas can be further addressed once we have more information! :)

Hi

Although they have moved to a bigger tank in the last two months I moved over the cycled filter and half the old tank water so they have been cycled since dec 2013. Hi they are due a water change tomorrow but il do a reading tonight after work and post results for you. so its unusual darker colours to come out as they get older. he hasn't lost any orange at all. He has just developed more black patches I took a video and pics I will try to upload too later tonight as I have to leave for work in a mo. I couldn't upload pics last time I tried. He is otherwise very active and seems healthy in all otherways. The Black moor is the same colour just more goldy silvr underneath. I did in fish cycling because that's what I was told by my aquatic centre to do. My Black Moor was my first fish. His still going strong. I did have danios in with them and a few cloud minnow but they have been rehoused in there own 22.4 gallon tank. The tank was over 2 months cycled before I got the Oranda. They are in a 40-50GALLON TANK, NOT sure exact measurement with 1 hongkong pleco.

Back
Top Bottom