Oranda with blood marks on face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Br0wnbag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My black oranda has got blood marks around his jaw line.
They've been there for 2 days and are gradually getting worse.
Apart from these marks he seems to be ok though, apart from one of his eyes is a bit cloudy.
If he injured himself, would the blood marks get worse before they got better?
I'm also wondering if flukes are a possibility - I bought him from a shop 3 weeks ago.
As said, he seems to be swimming around quite happily. No fin clamping, no sitting at the bottom of the tank, or staying at the top.

It's a 100 litre tank
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates are 25 (from the tap here they are 18 so hard to reduce)
PH 7,2

I e added some photos to show the marks

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 65
The cloudy eye usually means a degradation of the tank water quality.

What about the ammonia level?

Ammonia is the first part of the Nitrification process, then NitrIte and then NitrAte.

Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit?

The test strips don't always include ammonia test... And they are often deadly wrong in their test results. I lost almost a whole tank of fish because of inaccurate test strips.

Did you test right after a pwc or before?

Do you use Prime water conditioner? It will help with the nitrates.

100L is ~ 26G You need a larger tank for 2 Goldfish. Likely more filtration.

Reduce feeding amounts. Remove any dead plant matter.

Do a gentle, light clean on the filter only using treated water and / or old pwc water so you preserve all the BB that you can.

Do you usually change the filter pads and throw away the old ones or rinse in water right out of the tap?

You can get RODI water from most independant or salt water fish stores, about 50 cents a gallon, they sell 5G carrying containers for around $15-20 filled and you can re use. You will need some additive (drops) for the water to remineralize but that would allow pwc without having the poor water quality out of the tap.

Later you could also get a new large plastic trash can and treat the water and have Anacharis/Elodea plants to use up the Nitrates with a clamp light with daylight spectrum bulb 5000K+ keeping a ready supply of safe water on hand.

I would get some Prime ASAP. Do a pwc of 30%, the another of 30%, called back to back pwc - allows the fish to get used to the new water you are adding in.

Get a test for ammonia or at least have the lfs test the water for you and tell you what they find and ask for the actual numbers of each of the readings they give you not just accept them to say yeah its fine (or not).

Lower the water level an inch or two so that the water gets higher amount of oxygen. You can add an additional air bubbler as well.

Look up Hemorrhagic Septicemia. Water quality is very important.

But also do you know your KH /GH and PH? TDS? Lfs may be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom