outdoor tank/pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an old tank that i dont use and wanted to put it outside with plants and goldfish in. Will this work without a pump and filter?

No even ponds have pumps. You'll need some kind of water movement but temperature could.become a major issue. What size is that tank?

2.5 ft by 1 ft. Some sites say with plants and weekly water changes i should b ok but I dont want to gamble.

Don't get me wrong you could keep a lot of different fish alive in that scenario but its far from ideal. You would need to be doing huge water changes pretty often I would think for that size tank

Also you couldn't keep more then a couple goldfish in that size tank. Most would need larger as an adult and they have a huge Bioload. Why not run a small pump through a homemade filter in the corner then hide it with rocks and build a waterfall for a natural look

I literally have no way of getting electric outside. Are there such things as battery operated filters or pumps?

sedgy90 said:
I literally have no way of getting electric outside. Are there such things as battery operated filters or pumps?

I've never heard of one but you would think something exists out there lol. Maybe try another thread and see if anyone has or knows how to get power outside without an extension cord or something

Cheers for the help. Will post what i find out.

2.5 ft by 1 ft. Some sites say with plants and weekly water changes i should b ok but I dont want to gamble.

This is only about a 20gallon tank. Realistically, theres not much you can house goldfish-wise in this tank. A single fancy would be about it & they would have a hard time with the temperature variations. Commons/comets etc (single tail goldfish) need atleast 50g per fish. Maybe some small pond fish such as minnows or mosquito fish would be a better idea here. :)

I have a 10 gal with 4 guppies an plants no filltration and they have been fine the last 3 months. Also keep 2 goldfish in a 60 gal rain barrel

Back
Top Bottom