Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to kmk2307
overwintering black moor + lionhed goldfish question

Hi there,

I live just East of St. louis (plant zone 5-6). I have both a large black moor (~5" mouth to anus) and a large lionhead goldfish (also ~5" mouth to anus). Last spring-fall these fish lived in our pond (a 250 gallon pond which is the bottom pond of a ~500gallon system). There are some "comet" goldfish and some juvenile koi living in this pond now. Last winter these two goldfish fish lived indoors in a 30 gallon tank. This spring I put the fish back out into the pond. They have been growing rapidly and wouldn't be happy in a 30 gallon tank anymore. Would these fish be OK in this pond during the winter? We have a "floating de-icer" and keep a small pump on an upisde-down flower pumping water upwards pot stirring the water near it.

Thank you,
Kevin

Old 09-25-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How deep is the pond, that is one of the most important parts.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to kmk2307
Hey Roger,

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot to say how deep the pond is... It is only 3 feet deep. We did decide to move the fish indoors because of the shallowness of the pond.

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 10-06-2003, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is safest , I move my koi & goldfish indoors every winter, they live at the bottom of the basement stairs in a largish livestock watering tank I got from the local farm co-op. It is about a 150 gals rubbermaid tank. I also move the pond filter & pump indoors with the fish. They have overwintered many years with no problems.

The plants that stay outdoors seem to do well, but the water hyacinth I tried to bring indoors does not, I guess 80 watts of light is not enough for them.

- - Aquipment --
010gal Glass Tank-QT/Hospital
015gal Glass Tank-Partitioned Fish Jail
33gal Glass Tank-South American Cichlids {Angels)
120gal Glass Tank-Mixed Malawi Rift
small Koi/goldfish pond
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black moor, goldfish, moor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com